Looking for a candler- used- inexpensive for quail eggs

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by spotsplus, Dec 3, 2008.

1. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    I am hoping someone has an extra candler for brown quail eggs. The inexpensive candlers don't work, I think because the eggs are dark colored. Can pay something for item and shipping! [​IMG]

2. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Have you tried using a mini Mag Lite? That's what I use - it's pretty powerful and you can adjust the beam width.

3. 4kidZ

4kidZ Fluffy Butt Farmer

Hi Spots

Go to Walmart and purchase the Coleman LED Performance flashlight. It is silver aluminum with like a scalloping on the top. It is the only thing (low-priced) that I can candle Black Copper Marans with. It was $17.83 at WalMart. I think it was a little over 100 lumens. Don't get any less than 100 lumens, but if you can get anything over for a better price, go for it.

Of course, you can spend about $100 for super strong led or "candlight". I love mine because it was under $20 and I swear, I can see across my 2.5 acres with it...such distance!

~4kidZ

*EDIT*Forgot to mention that this flashlight is only about 6 inches long.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  4. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I agree, a flashlight should work. I also have an old slide projector that I use to candle eggs. Cost about 10.00 on ebay.

5. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    I have a mini mag light I use or a keychain that has a LED light on it. Works much better than a big old flashlight. I have been candling Welsummer and Cuckoo Marans here this week. No problem.

6. lostsoulhelpmejebus

lostsoulhelpmejebus Incubating Fool

Sep 23, 2008
    Roanoke, Illinois
    Quote:Thanks for the recommendation Sara. I just bought an old slide projector, ancient but works...came with 3 spare lamps ( 300watt ). I get my next hatching eggs in about a week so I am so excited to see how well this will work as a candler.

May I ask, do you put anything around the end of the tube ( like double stick foam, auto moulding, etc ) to pad the egg and block any light coming from the projector?

I have not had much luck with the full size or mini Maglight...guess I need the easiest methods at this point???

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by