Looking for a Chicken Rescue in the Southwest

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Detail, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Detail

Detail Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    I live in Arizona and I am looking for a local chicken or poultry rescue. I don't know where to begin, but I've tried google with no luck. I was just wondering if anyone has heard of anything in AZ or if someone knows of a good rescue search site. Thanx!

Diannastarr likes this.
  2. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Are you looking to adopt or drop off chickens? Petfinder.com can give you local sites. It told me that our local "pound" has ducks and chicken for adoption.

Diannastarr likes this.
  3. Detail

Mar 3, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    Well a local reporter for the newspaper wants to do a follow up story about a chicken rescue. She did a story about a duck rescue that I volunteer for because its so close to Easter. People buy duckling as Easter presents not knowing what to do with them when they get older so they dump them in lakes at local parks. I think she wants to do a simular story about chickens, but I need a rescue first.

Diannastarr likes this.
  4. Detail

Mar 3, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    I don't think the pound usually takes in poultry. It s the Humane Society that does this and when they get them, they need to go as fast as possible because they don't normally give them the best treatment, so they contact rescues or sanctuaries. Maybe I will call them in the morning.

Diannastarr likes this.
  5. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Well I don't know if it was the humane society or who the "parent" of it was, all I know is that I got my dog there and it's a sad place. They have lots of animals, even horses. I had a friend that volunteered there and I know they kill cats and kittens in high volume EVERYDAY there, they just get too many of them each day. That doesn't seem very humane to me, not by what she described. As for birds: $10 each. I wonder if they'll give me a discount if I pick up a bunch at a time?

Diannastarr likes this.
  6. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    I had heard that C&C hathery in Queen Creek did a no kill rooster rescue but after reading a post from another BYCer in the area I have learned that it might not be as great as they make themselves out to be.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2009
    Diannastarr likes this.
  7. slvrdov58

slvrdov58 New Egg

Mar 31, 2012
    I too am looking to re-home a rooster. I got a small flock of Americans for the eggs and one of them turned out to be a rooster. I am afraid to put an add on Craig's list for fear a cock fighting ring will buy him and he will be dead in a few days. I have done a lot of research and he meets all the 4-h criteria for a show quality bird so I don't want him to be sacrificed to savages that would fight him for money

Diannastarr likes this.
  8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Folks into game roosters are very unlikely to be interested in a single rooster of any kind. They would want several and they would need to be from a reputable person.

Diannastarr likes this.
  9. Good Old Egg

Good Old Egg New Egg

Apr 6, 2012
    Would your local feed shop take it? Where are you located in AZ? I know there are a few rescues in CA.

Diannastarr likes this.
  10. slvrdov58

slvrdov58 New Egg

Mar 31, 2012
    My local feed store is a Pet Club and they don't know of anyone that want's Roosters they only sell the chicks and don't really have a true one on one relationship established with anyone in the area yet they are new here but I had a new washer delivered yesterday from HD and on of they guys has in-laws that has a farm in the area with chickens and he thinks they might take one of them so that's good. He is seeing them tomorrow so will post an update later, I live near Queen Creek, AZ

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
    Diannastarr likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by