Looking for a chicken

look up by state on NPIP website for NPIP breeders hatcheries:
http://www.poultryimprovement.org/statesContent.cfm

They use stock codes (listed on left side of the link above). Here are the stock codes for what you want:

Regular size code:
Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 10.33.00 PM.png

Bantam size code:
Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 10.33.16 PM.png

As for getting an adult hen, you'll have to contact the breeder/hatchery. The NPIP listings include phone numbers.

Good Luck

Then how do you use these codes to find breeder?

Look in the state docs. Every NPIP place indicates what "stock" they have, via the use of the codes.

Some people want to find a place near (drivable) to them, then they find some places with all these codes - what stock do they have/ the codes look confusing? In this case, you can look up the codes numerically using the link on the left side of NPIP (called "stock codes").

In the case of this OP, they want a specific breed. Now they have a specific stock code. They can look up by state and peruse the listings. This sounds tedious, right? Luckily, there is what is called the "Find" function, this is usually in a drop down menu on your computer or in a specific application that you are using (Word, for example). This brings up a small search bar. Type in what you want, for example R262, and it will tell you "n matches" then you can click through the matches with the arrows by the search bar - much easier than trying to eyeball the document. In Ohio, I would have to search 36 pages of NPIP breeders if I were looking for a specific breed. By using find, I type the stock code in once, and it tells me how many times that stock code is in that document.

FWIW, the "Find" function comes in handy if you've written a lengthy paper, and realize that something needs to be changed or removed. The find function finds all instances of that exact word, code, etc so you can get them all.

Back
Top Bottom