looking for a complilation of tips to get my ducks to lay eggs.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AKCub, Oct 14, 2011.

1. AKCub

AKCub Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    Anchorage, Alaska
    I have an 18 month old Campbell and 3, 3 month old Muscovys. The Campbell is just finishing up a molt (induced by a move to a new home, flock). The Campbell was laying before she got moved about a month ago but she was in a flock of 20 birds so no good data on how much she was laying.
    We are rapidly approaching winter here and I would love to have eggs before the Spring if possible. I searched for a once stop, egg laying thread for ducks but didn't see anything that said much more than 12-14 hours of light.

I am putting rope lights in the coop on a timer so they will have light about 14 hours a day. Besides light, what else will help push these gals to lay eggs?

Thanks in advance for any tips you might have.

scott

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Provision of light is the best way to keep them laying throughout the winter months. Longer day length ( in natural terms ) is when the weather is warmest- giving hatching chicks the best chances of survival through the better conditions in temperature and also the increase in feed available. It is also important to ensure the coop is well protected from freezing outside temperatures- but light in itself is what triggers the hormonal stimulation to lay.
    Providing light can mess a bit with the birds natural molting timetable- so keeping her laying now- may mean a break at some other unexpected time.

3. AKCub

AKCub Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    Anchorage, Alaska
    I am looking For eggs to eat not for brood stock so the temps should be ok.

Scott

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    My mention of hatchlings was in reference to " mother nature" and how things have evolved- that generally especially in the wild type birds were selective breeding means they havent been picked for egg laying capabilities over generations- females lay in the spring when its warm and the day light hours are longer. You still need to protect the flock from extremes in weather no matter what the eggs will be used for. I didnt think you meant you wanted eggs for hatching- especially with no mention of a drake to fertilize any eggs you do get.

5. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    Be sure you are feeding her well - plenty of protein and have oyster shell calcium available for her to eat as she needs it. Otherwise the lights will help most.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by