Looking for a friendly pet breed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by johnandkristen, Sep 13, 2011.

1. johnandkristen

johnandkristen New Egg

Oct 25, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I currently have a female runner and thinking about adding another.
    Im wondering if I can add a different breed like a Peekin? Also can you get an egg shipped to incubate at home or get them really young so that I can bond with it?

Also Im wondering if some breeds you can bring out with you to the park and what not and they will stick by you and not run away?

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I have rouens and welsh harlequins, the rouens are really nice, but not that nice you can take them to the park. You dont have to hatch the duckling for it to be nice to you. Just spend time with it so it will like you. But I say you get some welsh harlequins, or rouen.

3. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    You can order incubator eggs from Metzer if you really want to, but I find frequent handling alone makes my birds pretty sweet, although they don't like being caught! Jury is out on my welshies, I have them in a brooder in my bedroom right now. To make babies more comfortable with you, you can put a shirt with your scent on it (dirty t-shirts!) inside the brooder so they identify your scent with being safe and happy. It works for most species actually.

4. Kmoreau

Kmoreau Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    My Pekin male is sooooo sweet and friendly, he comes when I call him, and love to be held or I my lap. I rescued him from a girl that won him in a fair, and then he got bigger and chose not to keep him. I work at a feed store, and she came in and just left him on the counter. It was love at first site!!! He is just a big cuddle bug with me. He does waddle away when I try to catch him, but he doesn't try too hard. My female runs ad runs and puts up a fight. I think he just enjoys being around me. When we let them in the front yard, they don't go farther then a foot away. One time they got out and I couldn't find them, I was running down the street screaming their name. They heard me and started quacking so loudly. So it makes me think they want to be with me!'

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by