Looking for a gentleman rooster in Massachusetts--got two, thanks!

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Rosalind, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Background: I had three roosters, one standard partridge Cochin gentleman and two Buttercups. While my 14 hens were moulting hard, I decided to put the boys in a separate part of the barn, where I usually keep half-grown chicks or quarantine chickens. You know, to give the girls a break to grow some real feathers on their backs for a change.

Last night, a fisher (monster weasel beast) found a loose board and slaughtered all three. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :thun

The Buttercup roos were kinda cowardly jerks, I wasn't too sorry about them, but the Cochin roo was my baby--he tolerated being picked up and cuddled and was super-tame, sweet on the girls, very handsome, I am SO going to miss my poor Hugo. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DH took a day off work, unpaid, to fix the loose boards and clean out the ungodly mess. He is also building a new coop with a better run than the crummy run currently attached to the barn. New coop plans have been revised to include a piranha-filled moat, a drawbridge, a fire-breathing dragon, etc. etc. This will not happen again. Anyway, all the hens were safe and sound and even laid their normal number of eggs. So their area is secure at least.

But they could use the comfort of a true gentleman. One who loves standard-sized or even, dare I say, Rubenesque ladies--two of my girls are standard Cochins, and one of my EEs is a real Amazon of a woman. As it is, one Cochin, one EE and one young Welsummer pullet are mud-wrestling for dominance, and it's not a pretty sight. The other hens asked me to write them a personal ad, so here goes:

14 lonely widowed Aries women ages 3-15 months looking for a strong yet romantic man who enjoys scratch, red clover, dandelions, and long walks in the grass. Must enjoy female beauty in all colors, sizes, and attitudes, but still be man enough to protect us beautiful princesses from dragons, frogs, mice, and other assorted beasts. Must be good with humans and dogs.

If you have a roo in the Massachusetts area (I live in Worcester area) who is looking for a good home and is sweet-tempered, PM me please! I can drive to pick up.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  2. ELOISEtheCHICKEN

ELOISEtheCHICKEN Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2008
    I have 3 beautiful polish roosters, you may have any of them that you wish, no charge. I really hate fisher cats. Feel free to email me. I live in Brookfield. [email protected]

3. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Unrelated, I like your nesting boxes. Talk about easy.

4. ailsaek

ailsaek Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Sharon, MA
    I have a beautiful Golden Campine cockerel. He's eight weeks and a few days old and looks completely grown up. He is great at foraging for himself (he loves ants) and he's good at keeping an eye out for dangers and warning the girls. I love him and don't want to get rid of him (he's the only cockerel I didn't take with me to the NH Chickenstock a few weeks back), but he's getting better at crowing, and my town doesn't allow roosters. He'd father beautiful babies, I'm sure, in fact I'd love to see what he plus a Cochin mom would look like.

5. Downinmyback

Downinmyback Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2007
    West TN
    I was wondering how this has worked out. Did Your lasies find a new gentleman caller and if so what breed.
    Maybe you could post some pics of the happy group of chickens.

6. Rosalind

Mar 25, 2007
    OMG! OK, sending emails & PMs. Just got home from work now...

7. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for your loss, Rosalind.

I enjoyed your post. Let me know if you find any fire-breathing dragons!

8. Rosalind

Mar 25, 2007
    Wow! You BYC'ers are sure generous folks.

I've got one rooster and another lined up, so I think I am all set for now.

Meet Freddie:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Freddie was originally Roxy. However, upon meeting the girls, he immediately tried to mount the biggest and most aggressive hens in the whole flock.

See the great big standard Partridge Cochin to the right of Freddie in this picture?
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, that's Freddie's girlfriend. Apparently fat bottomed girls make his rockin' world go round.

9. ailsaek

ailsaek Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2008
    Sharon, MA
    Now we need a picture of the whole family together. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by