Looking for a good book on Silkies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FrenchToast, Jan 24, 2010.

1. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    Is there a good book out there for breeding Silkies? Or a good book for Bantams that covers the silkie in detail?

Thanks

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    You could try to get a copy of the Standard of Perfection.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The standards are not really a good book for breeding or getting to know all about a breed--they do give you a description of the ideal physical characteristics and traits, but don't really tell you about things like what if any different needs the breed has that are different than the norm, what if any extra concerns there might be with the breed, be best housing for the breed, and was asked--breeding, either in general or for the specific breed.

I don't know of any books specific to breeding silkies. There are several yahoo groups devoted to silkies, there is the American Silkie Bantam Club and their website. All these have silkie specific breeding information and discussions. A book that is good for breeding in general (even though it is breed specific for OEGB) is Old English Game Bantams as Bred and Shown in the United States by F. P. Jeffrey and William Richardson.

Specifically, what questions do you have?

4. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    I basically just want to learn more about the silkie breed in general etc.
    Feed, housing, breeding, colors, etc. No particular question that I can think of right now but I will be posting several as my venture is just begining !! LOL

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by