looking for a good incubator - need help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sunshinesfarm, Mar 27, 2012.

1. sunshinesfarm

sunshinesfarm New Egg

Mar 27, 2012
    hi,
    I'm looking for a new incubator for chicken/turkey eggs - I've seen a Genesis Hova-Bator incubators on Amazon but don't know if they are best or most recommended. I was thinking about getting this one with an automatic egg turner.
    any suggestions or comments? I've never used one before but would like to raise my own birds this year.

thanks much!
    Susie

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. Hatching eggs can be fun, I would get one with a turner, that way you don't have to open it up to turn the eggs. You can always build one yourself. :thumbsup

3. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. I have the Hovabator 1588 & love it; it's hatched out everything from chickens to peachicks with great results. I bought mine last year, but wish I'd waited because the newer version is supposed to be nicer. Like 4-H said, an auto turner is a big help & a calibrated hygrometer, too. You can check out the Incubator Reviews section on here to read other members' reviews of incubators.
    Good luck with incubating eggs - it's very addictive [​IMG]

4. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

5. Jakl

Jakl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    I have an ancient...big brown box one. it has circulated air and an automatic turner. It has one dial (used lightly here, it's a. L screw and a wing-nut) for the thermostat (heat), and another dial for the safety. I can get it set to stay within 1 degree with this simple arrangement.
    I love it, bought second hand at a chicken show.
    If I were to buy a new one, I would find one with a window, or port of some sort, so I could see inside without opening the door. I strongly suggest the automatic turner. Hygrometer, and good thermometer.

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

I also have a Hova Bator 1588 and would buy another.

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by