1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for a Good Place To Order Chicks From

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Awestruck, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Awestruck

Awestruck Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2012
    I have never raised chickens before, but would like to start if we get some property, which may be soon. Does anyone know a reputable place to get the baby chicks from? I heard that Cackle Hatchery is good, but I have a question about that also. I heard that they vaccinate their chicks before they send them out. Is this something standard that is done, or is this just something that this company offers? Is vaccinating chickens important or should this not be done? I just would like some insights into this before I make plans to order any poultry. Thanks so much.

2. greenfeathers

greenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2016
    People's Republic of MD
    I'm not an expert my first chicks are only two weeks old but I ordered them from McMurray I ordered 25. Did have them vaccinated but it's optional. They sent 27 one exotic bonus (black polish ). I lost one at 4 days but it just seemed weak the whole time. The rest are fine.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I've had good luck with McMurray, Ideal and Cackle. Its best to pick a hatchery thats close to you to reduce shipping distance. Or, you could see if your local farm store (Tractor Supply, Co-op, ECT) will have chicks. Then they can deal with any losses from shipping and you can pick out your chicks in person.

The hatchery offers vaccination as an extra, its optional. Vaccinating may be a good idea depending on your area. That being said, I don't vaccinate.

Good luck :)

4. Awestruck

May 15, 2012
    Thanks so much!

5. KrisCVT

KrisCVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2015
    MA
    I had great luck with Chickens For Backyards.... great communication, great selection. I needed to order somewhere that let you buy smaller quantities. My sister had bought a "bantam selection" 2 years earlier- and they all did great. t paid extra to have my chicks sexed- and they were 100% correct. I ordered 5 but got 6...which was okay because 1 passed away shortly after arriving. I also got 2 ducklings with the same order.

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    I've used MMcM, Cackle, and Meyers, all with good results. I always have the chicks vaccinated for Marek's disease; it's cheap insurance against the very nasty tumors that will kill infected birds. My home raised bird aren't vaccinated, and have been the 'canaries in the coal mine' for my flock, which so far doesn't have Marek's disease. I'm also VERY careful about biosecurity which does pay off. Mary

7. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    I had a good experience with My Pet Chicken. I had some losses, but they were shipped in January and traveled through a snowstorm. No problems getting refunds, good customer service overall.

8. RodNTN

RodNTN Ayam Cemani Lover Premium Member

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    I totally recommend Mypetchicken. Gives refunds and sends heating packs if it is cold.

9. Awestruck

May 15, 2012
    Thanks so much, all of you. I need to research the vaccination issue. I don't want to start a debate here or anything like that. I just wonder if the vaccinations are made differently than the ones for humans, which contain mercury.
    I'll look into those different companies that were mentioned. Thanks again for the help with this. I will have a lot more questions in the future, which I will post in this forum.

10. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

Most human vaccines made in the USA do not contain thimerosal any longer. Table 1 in this article will let you know exactly which ones do and do not. http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/SafetyAvailability/VaccineSafety/UCM096228

I did a quick search on both the Marek's vaccine as well as the coccidiosis vaccine from multiple manufacturer's...none if them seem to contain thimerosal. Several of the Marek's vaccines contained a specific antibiotic (such as gentamicin) and a fungistat to prevent growth of microorganisms.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by