Looking for a good veggie side dish recipe!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by vfem, Aug 17, 2011.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Well, we're trying to cut out heavy starches at dinner as sides. If we have bread with dinner, no rice or potatoes. If we have rice or potatoes for dinner, it's only 1 time a week max now.

So last night we had a salad, but the night before it was rice. So tonight, veggies again!

I may or may not have them on hand, but between my garden, some frozen veggie and the farm stand down the road... I can get what I need.

So other then fresh salad... please share some of your veggie side dish recipes with me!? [​IMG]

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    When I get a lot of veggies from the garden, we eat a lot of stir fry.

For sauce, I mix equal parts of teriyaki, broth, and enough corn starch to thicken.

My Teriyaki:

1 cup soy sauce
    1/2 onion minced extra fine
    1/2 Cup brown sugar
    2 T sesame seeds
    1 t chili flakes
    1 t ginger powder
    black pepper to taste
    2 T sherry

Simmer it all together until the onion is well done. i usually start by toasting the sesame seeds, but you can get away without doing that. Also, you can leave the sherry out, if you want to.

Store in the fridge for about a week. If you use onion powder instead of fresh onion, it will store considerably longer as there will be nothing in it that spoils.

You aren't going to use more than a couple of T at a time, unless you are doing a huge batch. This is good as a marinade for any meat, and really good as the flavoring in stir fried rice.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You can make "mashed potatoes" out of cauliflower.

You can also steam cauliflower in small pieces and serve spaghetti sauce over it. Add a bit of Parmesan and yum!

Green beans, cook a pot of the beans with a diced onion and 1-2 slices of diced bacon. A sprinkle of season salt and a pinch of bouillon powder. Simmer until the beans are done.

Carrot coins: with a tiny dab of real butter, thin sliced onion and a pinch of bouillon powder.

Don't forget that coleslaw is a veggie. Most recipes use about 10 times too much dressing. Cut the dressing down to where it barely moistens the cabbage and then let it sit for a couple of hours for the flavor to soak into the cabbage. I use 1/2 cup dressing on a large head of cabbage. it is plenty of dressing.

My family loves an assortment of raw sliced veggies served with buttermilk dressing to dip. I make the dressing with real buttermilk and I cup the amount of mayonnaise that the recipe calls for.

Asparagus: brush on a dab of olive oil, sprinkle with salt and put it on the barbecue. You won't believe how delicious.

I do the same with eggplant. A light brushing of olive oil and then on the barbecue until soft.

I'm surprised that no one else has any good veggie recipes.

4. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    One of my favorite dishes is squash casserole and it is, to me, a "heavy" enough dish that I don't want a starchy vegetable also.

You can vary the amount of ingredients a lot to make it either richer or lower calorie and it's still good. It's even good with store bought canned squash.

Stewed squash well drained
    About an egg for each cup or two of squash
    A dollop of sour cream
    As much or as little grated cheese as you like.
    Enough bread crumbs to bind, I think it's best with Panko.

Put cheese and/or bread crumbs on top if you like, it's good without. Put pats of butter on too if not worried about calories.

Bake at about 400 until brown and hot and bubbly.

We mostly just eat vegetables plain. I really like a good vegetable plate with two or three cooked vegetables and sliced tomatoes and colesaw.

5. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    This spicy bean salad keeps well in the fridge and can be as spicy as you want it:

Bean Salad
    2 cans black beans, 1 can shoe peg corn, chopped cilantro, 1 TB fresh lime juice, 2 TB rice vinegar, 2-3 TB olive oil, chopped red bell pepper, diced red onion, diced cucumber, tobasco, s&p

Easy ways to roast sweet potatoes (which are good for us!):

Chili roasted potatoes - cut peeled sweet potatoes into chunks and dip them in a small bowl of olive oil to coat on all sides, put on an oiled baking sheet, sprinkle heavily with chili powder, roast at 375 for 1 hour or until done.

Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes
    2 pounds red-skinned sweet potatoes
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons honey
    1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into 1-inch pieces and put in a 9 by 13 baking dish. In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, honey and lemon juice. Pour mixture over potatoes and toss to coat. Sprinkle with the salt, and bake, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour, until potatoes are tender.

Claremont Salad - keeps 1 week refrigerated, I make this year round

3/4head of cabbage shredded
    1 small onion, sliced
    1 green bell pepper, sliced
    1 carrot, grated
    1 cucumber, sliced
    2 TB salad oil
    2 TB sugar
    3 TB vinegar
    1 TB water
    1 t salt, fresh ground black pepper

Mix all the vegetables together in a big bowl. Put dressing in jar and shake very well. Pour over the vegetables. Leave vegetables and dressing at room temperature for 2 hours, then put it in the refrigerator to chill overnight.

Woodie's Green Beans with Hazelnuts and Lemon

serves 8

1 1/2 lbs. fresh green beans, wash and trim
    2 TB olive oil
    1 1/2 t lemon zest
    1/3 c chopped toasted hazelnuts
    s&p

In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook beans 3 to 8 minutes or until tender. Drain and place in a large bowl. Add olive oil, zest, nuts, s&p. Toss well to blend all. Beans may be made 1 day ahead, chilled, covered. Reheat beans in microwave.

6. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    We tried caramelized cauliflower last night and we loved it! Cut up 1 head of cauliflower into bite sized pieces, tossed with 2 tablespoons of olive oil to coat, seasoned with Jane's crazy mixed salt (salt/garlic black pepper mix if you don't have something similar) and roasted for approx 45-minutes until nice and brown (caramelized) on a cookie sheet turning every 15 minutes in a 425 degree oven.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  7. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    my wife makes brussel sprouts in the oven, and unless she's using some magic ingredient that i'm not seeing, just tosses them with olive oil, minced garlic, salt and fresh ground pepper. cooks them in the oven till they start to brown.

they're wonderful, and i've never liked them up until she made them this way

EDITED TO SAY: i take that back. she has also made them with a teriyaki glaze, baked in the oven. i bet the above teriyaki recipe would be wonderful!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  8. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Broccoli & tomatoes! cut up some fresh tomatoes out of the garden, steam some broccoli, mix together, sprinkle with lemon juice, add a sprinkle of seasoning of your choice (we like Cavendar's greek seasoning) & a light dressing of greek yogurt mixed w/a dollop mayo. It's nice chilled on a hot summer day.

9. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Zucchini, yellow squash & onions, sliced, tossed together, and nuke in microwave or steamed on the stove with a dab or two of butter is also good.

10. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    bruscell sprouts that you cut in half.

then you brown them in olive oil,

then great in some garlic.

then simmer with chicken broth for about 5 minutes until the bruscell sprouts are tender.

even if you don't like bruscell sprouts this recipe makes them taste so good that everyone in the family will like them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by