Looking for a great hatchery, best deal at the best price!

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by stephensc7146, Apr 16, 2012.

1. stephensc7146

stephensc7146 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Southeastern, Ohio
    I have 15 barred rocks from a straight run bin from Tractor Supply. I want to have a backup plan in case I have too many roos to keep. (I can only have one, and my boyfriend has room for 2 more.) With the odds against me, I know that a plan B needs to be in place to make up for the hens that I want to have. Im looking for a hatchery that will provide me with the best prices, and the best quality. I would like to know what hatcheries any of you use that you have had excellent experiences with, along with price and quality of chickens. If anyone could please help me out, I don't want to have a bad experience with buying chicks from a hatchery because i'm new and clueless to all of this. Let me know what you all think! It will be more appreciated than you would ever know!

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
  3. Gresh

Gresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    I recommend Ideal Poultry. They have very affordable prices and their birds are pretty good quality. My cockerels from them turned out rather nicely, and I have seen beautiful pictures of some of the pullets they sell. Their $25 minimum order price is a good system.

Privett hatchery sells nice bantams (based on the ones they sold my local feedstore), but I'm not sure about their large fowl.

God bless,
    ~Gresh~

4. stephensc7146

Apr 4, 2012
    Southeastern, Ohio
    I found Meyer hatchery? It seems pretty decent on prices. Anyone have experience with them?

5. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    Don't buy from Meyer... They seem to have good prices on chicks but the quality of the chicks are horrilble (atleast when I got chicks from them) I bought 28 from Meyer last October and almost half died within first 2 weeks the most of the rest are not growing right...

I just got a 46 chicks from McMurray like a week ago, there prices are abit high but you get what you pay for and so far no deaths, they are all very healthy.

6. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
  7. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Every hatchery will have BYC folks that think it's wonderful - and other BYC people that think it's the pits. I've had great results from Meyer - and my chickens are beautiful quality. I've received tremendous service via the phone and also online. They have a 3 chick minimum - and you can choose all pullets.

1 person likes this.
  8. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Ideal Poultry sell chicks at affordable prices and they have a $25 price minimum on orders but they don't have a chick order minimum as you can order as many chicks as you want at affordable prices. I've ordered 20 D'Uccle chicks from them for the 4/18/12 hatch date and they should be shipped soon. I'd recommend Ideal Poultry to anyone if they are looking to buy some chicks.

9. stephensc7146

Apr 4, 2012
    Southeastern, Ohio
    I checked out the ideal poultry site, I usually don't have trouble with websites, but that one drove me nuts trying to work my way around it. Im not saying i'll give up on it, I just gotta figure it out. I'm torn between meyer now.. I do believe in you get what you pay for. What is the shipping prices like on meyer and ideal?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  10. stephensc7146

Apr 4, 2012
    Southeastern, Ohio
    I really want light brahma pullets... but ideal only has males and straight run..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by