Looking for a guard dog for chickens.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cajunmom, Jan 11, 2014.

1. cajunmom

cajunmom New Egg

Apr 29, 2013
    LA
    I'm hoping I'm posting this in the right thread, if not I apologize.
    We have had problems with coyotes getting our chickens since we first started raising them. We finally put an electric fence around the coop yard and that seemed to cure that problem. I go out to feed one morning and my whole flock was dead. I knew immediately that it was dogs. They had dug under the fencing. Sure enough they came back two nights later. One was in the coop again and the other was running our horses. I have been looking at getting a dog that I can raise to deter predators. I was looking at a blue heeler or an Australian shepherd and would like others thoughts on those type of dogs. The dog would not be in the pen but around it and at times in a large yard beside them. I can't get a LGD dog at this time due to the wrong type of fencing and wouldn't want it trying to guard everyone else too. I need something now though to help deter. I have a chihuahua that gives chase, but of course I will not leave her out at night. I need a bigger dog.

2. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    I've heard that herding dogs are good with protecting chickens, if that helps.

3. cajunmom

cajunmom New Egg

Apr 29, 2013
    LA
    Both the blue heeler and the Australian shepherd are herd dogs. I just can't decide between the two.

4. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

I personally would not use these two breeds to protect your flock against coyotes. Coyotes often run in packs and could easily over come and kill these dogs. I would either get a LGD or dig a trench a foot deep and bury your fence so nothing can dig under it.

5. SavageDestiny

SavageDestiny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    Bend, OR
    An Aussie or Cattle Dog (heeler) is not going to be a proper match for coyotes, or other dogs even. A livestock guardian like a Great Pyr or Anatolian would be your best bet. Failing that, a good proper Pit Bull or AmStaff would be able to take on coyotes and other dogs no problem. You might have a bit of an issue with them going after your chickens too though, since they are terriers! However with ANY breed of dog you'd have to be sure they could not get off your property.

A temporary measure might be to run some hot wire around the outside of the pen near the bottom, so anything trying to dig under would get shocked.

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I have an Aussie and she is great for herding and running the woods flushing out everything in her path along with a coyote Aussie mix i have, i use these dog s just for herding and running the woods in the daytime while my LGD's work mostly at night unless they smell something in the area then they are on alert even in their sleep.

I also have a pit bull that is a bird owners dream, she will kill any wild critter that gets near her birds, she is a great aid when teaching pups to leave birds alone, I have used her to train lots of pups with high prey drive with great results she does not hurt the pups just puts them on the ground every time they go after the flapping birds. She will also catch a chicken on command as well as break up bird fights when i send her.

I have a large parcel of land and all my dogs are altered so roaming has never been an issue here .

What is your setup like? like how much land do you have? is it fenced? do you have close neighbors.

If you have alot of land what does the area your birds stay look like, clear, surrounded by field or woods all these will play a factor in which kinda dog will work best for you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Tucker he is great with the birds and will keep wild critters away, he is just old and slow
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    coydog great flusher, use to steal baby ducks and eat them we got him threw that now he is a great farm dog.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rottie Pup i trained for another farm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lab is a pup i trained for another farm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A pup i trained here for another farm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    New LGD to replace one of mine that is getting on in age i will be adding another one next year.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    Beautiful dogs! I wouldn't want to be a predator trying to live off your farm!!! :)

1 person likes this.
  8. carrieschkns

carrieschkns Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I have an Australian Shephard and a GSD. They are both very good at protecting the girls!

9. cajunmom

cajunmom New Egg

Apr 29, 2013
    LA

10. SavageDestiny

SavageDestiny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    Bend, OR

Hot wire wouldn't injure small kids, just give them a bit of a scare, haha. They wouldn't be any worse for wear even if they did touch it.

I guess I don't understand why you feel like your fencing would be adequate for an Aussie or Cattle Dog but not a LGD. All dogs require fencing to be sure they stay on the property. A small/medium herding breed really isn't going to be a deterrent for coyotes, though. You'd really need a LGD, working line bulldog (Pit Bull) or even a working line sighthound or lurcher.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by