Looking for a high protein layer feed for my free-range girls

eggsontoast

Songster
9 Years
Dec 7, 2010
North Atlanta suburbs
Can someone please give me websites/phone numbers for some companies who will SHIP a high protein layer feed that is organic? My three girls free range in my large backyard. I want a feed with a minimum of 20% protein, preferrably in pellet form (they don't seem to care for mash/crumbles). Right now they're on Countryside organic, soy-free layer feed that I get from a friend who buys it in bulk. I dont' care if the feed is soy-free, but I DO prefer organic. The Countryside feed is only 16% protein and, based on what I've read, if the chickens free range all day (mine do), they may need more protein. All I know is that when I give my girls treats with meat and/or dairy, they DEVOUR it like they haven't eaten in days. I'm afraid they aren't getting what they need from the current feed and I'm also concerned about their lackluster egg production (4 eggs per week from 3 chickens).

Interesting. I've heard just the opposite. If the chickens spend a lot of time ranging then they don't need a higher protein feed. Either way- have you looked at gamebird feeds? I think they are usually around 20%. Organic or not I'm not sure of.

Quote:
Hmmmm....that was my next question. Does anyone know of organic gamebird layer feed? The only one I've found is Purina Layena, which has 20% protein, so far. And it's not organic, of course. I think I'll start a new thread on this.

Back
Top Bottom