Looking for a horse in East TN

ravencreek

Songster
11 Years
Nov 10, 2008
Benton TN
Hello there, I am looking for a DEAD broke horse to teach my 6yr old son to ride. Or I would like to find someone that has any idea how to break a 7yr old miniature mare. My sons birthday is March 19th and I would like to figure something out by then. Thanks everyone.

I would look on craigslist.com in your area. Make sure you get an older horse, probably 12 and up, calm horse that has been used for lessons and will be very tolerant, caring and gentle with your son. I wouldn't try to break a mini for him. I just bought a 14 year old quarter horse mare for my 5 year old daughter. She is wonderful. She is gentle and takes care of my daughter when she is riding. She was used for lessons ans camps her whole life...thats what you need to look for.
First off, you never want to put a beginner on a newly broke horse, mini or not! Mini's really aren't for riding, you can ride them, but they can only take so much weight. You can get just as hurt by a small horse as you an a large one. I would definitely rule out the mini idea.

Just be very careful, so matter how well broke the owner says a young horse (s) are, when they are young like that, they are not experienced enough to take care of a young, beginner rider.

You can also do a google search and type in : Horses for sale in (your state)
You will get several websites that list horses for sale. Dreamhorse.com is a good one

Just make sure you don't buy a horse going off of the persons word that it is dead broke. Make sure you see the owner ride it before you even consider buying it.

With the horse market the way it is, you may be able to find a fair priced horse that is perfect for what you need!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh I am so sorry we don't live closer. My oldest daughter breaks and trains ponies and minis like big horses. She just got in a mini stud to train last weekend. Good luck finding one.

Edited to add that you need to look for an older horse or pony. Don't get anything under about 15 and 20 yrs old isn't too old by any means. An old been there done that kinda horse is a better teacher for any kid than a young horse. My kids' current horses are ALL in their 20's and my two girls are competiting on their horses in cutting - and bringing home paychecks. Well worth the elderly horses.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I have called about a few horses that were in our local paper. What about a trail horse? Most that I have talked to about broke horses say they are trail horses. But would they have a buddy problem? I know that any commercial type trail horses I had been on just kinda followed the leader. There wasn't really much riding too it. You just kinda sat there and they knew where they were going and such.

Is there a trainer or instructor near you that maybe you could take your child to for lessons? I mean, put together a paid up lesson package as a gift. That way you can take your time and find just the right horse - and your child can start to learn how to ride and safety issues. So many times a first time horse buyer can really be ripped off just because they simply don't know. And the end result is usually an injury to you or your loved one. Ultimately lessons are cheap in comparison to a purchase of a new horse and possible problems along with that. Then you can take your time and know more what to look for. My two oldest daughters (12 and 9 yrs old) didn't stay with their first horse for more than a year or two. Once they figured out what they wanted to do and what they liked, we purchased them horses specifically for their ability and the child's need. And then I have seen friend's children get a horse and ride it for about a month and never ride again because they got bored.

Just some thoughts and options for you.

Oh I'm not a first time horse buyer. I am however a first time beginner safe horse buyer. I have 3 horses of my own but I wouldn't trust them with teaching him. They are all used for different things and none are right for him to learn on. I have a QH I use for barrels and once you get on her she is ready to go. I have a TN Walker stallion but he requires a HEAVY hand and stern rider. Then I have a Haflinger gelding but he is so tough mouthed and he side steps and dances alot. All need an experienced rider. Then there is the mini I have. I ended up with her when she was 2 months old. Her mother was killed by some dogs and the lady I got her from said she just picked up the baby and ran. That the mother horse had pretty much sacraficed herself to save the baby. The mother ran to the otherside of the pasture and the baby stayed on the other side. So I had to bottle raise her and she was always just a pet.

Back
Top Bottom