Looking For A House (Opinions?)

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by MagsC, Jun 20, 2009.

1. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Well, at long last, it looks as if I have a buyer for the house.[​IMG]
    I have been looking at houses in different areas. Here is some of what I have found out and considered.
    I found one over by Camden, Michigan. Perfect place, but I know next to nothing about MI!! I have found some other places around the same area.
    Western Indiana. Tons of country places for sale.
    Johnson City, Tennessee area. Bonus to this is it will be close to at least two of my adult children and other relatives.
    My last option considered was to stay in Minnesota, again, close to family.
    Decisions, decisions....though at this point I would be happy with any of them as opposed to living in town.

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    i love the countryside of michigan (where I'm at now) but there aren't many jobs. It's a great place to retire to if you don't mind all the snow and cold for half the year.

You may not mind it if you're from the Minn area though. I'm trying to get out of here personally and make my way to the south where I won't see snow cept for the storm of the century [​IMG]

3. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I have never been to Michigan but have heard some areas of the countryside are really beautiful.
    What I do doesnt depend on the local job market, so it might work.
    The place I like is a big old Victorian, with barn and other outbuildings.
    Probably more trouble than its worth, but I like a place with character!
    If I did buy it, next I would be having to ask BYCers for suggestions for a farm name,lol.
    As far as snow and cold, I actually dont mind it. The only reason I was thinking of TN was to be close to family. I dont know much about TN either though!

4. only one lay

only one lay Songster

Nov 2, 2008
    litchfield mi
    Where i live is not to far from camden. If you like being away from everything it might be the right place.Walmart and TSC 15 to 20 min. Everything else longer.

5. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I dont mind being away from things, I am right now, most anything is at least a half hour to 45 minutes away.(Rochester,Winona,Red Wing)
    There is a grocery store six miles away though.

6. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I would research your desired areas well before you make a decision. Job market, neighborhood, nearby prisons, etc.
    My mom had a friend who wanted to move to Couer'D Alene, Idaho. It's a BEAUTIFUL place with mountians, lakes, trees and wildlife. She learned in time that there was an arian nation (or something like that) home base in C'DA, and she is Jewish. People had reported seeing crosses burning in the night. She decided to stay in the midwest . Of course that's a worst case scenario, but it does pay to research an area thoroughly before making a big move.

7. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Oh, I agree!! It might take a month or so to hammer out all of the details about this place and in the meantime I am going to be researching. All opinions are welcome. Mostly, what I would like is to be in a rural area where the price of a country house is reasonable. I dont mind fixer uppers if they can feasibly be lived in while being worked on. I want to be able to have my chickens and a couple of mini goats. I dont want the neighbors so close that I can look into their windows and visa versa,lol. I just want to mind my own business.
    I also had this place listed on a swap site and someone from Arkansas proposed a swap but I am not sure how that would work. At this point I think I am going to make a deal with the guy who wants to buy the place.(He owns just about all of the rest of the property around it anyway!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: