Looking for a little help with Bobwhites (esp. pen/housing)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by bobwhitenewbie, Jul 19, 2010.

1. bobwhitenewbie

bobwhitenewbie New Egg

Jul 19, 2010
    I have some bobwhite chicks that are getting too big for their brooder and need to go outside but first I need to put the finishing touches on the pen I built and was looking for some advice. The quail are going to go into a low coop (sort of like a chicken run) inside my barn that leads to a flight pen outside. My questions are:

• What is the best type of bedding/flooring for the indoor part of the coop? Should I just leave the hardwood floor as is and put them on that or should I put down hay, shavings, cedar chips, sand, etc

• Currently the sides and "ceiling" of the inner coop are made out of hard wire (1/2 inch by 1/2 inch) but as they get bigger and start to fly around crazier I'm worried that they'll injure themselves by slamming into that wire at such close range, maybe even getting parts of themselves caught in it. How much of an issue is this, normally? And what else can I put in there as sort of a "cushion" for when they fly into the sides/ceilings of the pen?

• The ground outside in the flight pen is mostly dirt with a few patches of grass and weeds here and there; it's also built around a portion of a tree so it has a spruce branch in there a few feet off the ground. Is there anything I could do to the ground to make it safer for the quail? Other than completely cover it up, that is. Although I've read varying reports about quail being on the ground, I'm still afraid of them getting contaminated/infected by being on it even if it is clean and dry.

• (This actually has nothing to do with the pen, just a general Q) -- I'm going to be getting a shipment of chicks (chicken chicks) in the mail in a few days. They're going to be kept in an entirely different part of the house from the quail (the quail are currently in a brooder in the spare room downstairs, the chickens will be in a brooder in the spare room upstairs) but they will still be in the same building and will potentially pass each other on occasion (bringing the chicks through the house in a box and such)...would this be anything to be concerned about? They won't ever be kept together in the same pen or anything, but I'm unsure of whether or not any serious risk would be posed in having them in the same house at the same time, even if they are far apart and in different rooms.

As my username says, I'm a newbie to quail, so any help is super appreciated. Thanks!

2. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Sand would probobaly work best with some plain shavings

my quail dont freak out the just look at me while im walking around. just be calm around them dont run and make sudden movements that would scare something wild off.

Cant help ya with that one my quail and all quail are 3 feet off the ground.

as for the chickens and quail i dont think youll have a problem

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:

4. TRN79_3

TRN79_3 New Egg

Jun 12, 2010
    i actually had some similar questions

i have bobwhites that slam into things too hard as well, except with mine it's mostly the sides of their pen that are the issue and not the ceiling. they'll run away really fast when I walk past the coop and slam into the walls so hard that it makes me concerned for their safety. the walls are half wood and half hard half inch by half inch wire, but no matter which part they hit it still seems like too hard of a surface. i was thinking of putting in egg crate foam on the sides, but wouldn't they peck at it/eat it? I tried thinking of other stuff to use as well but everything soft I can think of would be potentially edible to them and i don't want them eating or choking on foam or fabric or anything.

the other is that i have chickens in a separate coop about 7 feet away...both coops are outdoors, but i was wondering about how much of a danger there would be of them contaminating each other by being that close, even if they're in separate coops and are never actually together?

5. Jeremiah.Chua

Jeremiah.Chua Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    Is Cedar really toxic to quails? I've been using cedar shavings for my gambels, coturnix and buttons with no ill effects (yet?).

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  6. jhoughton

jhoughton Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    Do not keep chicken and quail anywhere near the same area. The quail produce a ton of dust and this will carry in the air. the chickens will inhale the dust and potentially come down with Mareks. This happened to me (personal experience).

7. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Jeremiah.Chua :

Is Cedar really toxic to quails? I've been using cedar shavings for my gambels, coturnix and buttons with no ill effects (yet?).

ABSOLUTELY!​

8. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:I'D BE MORE INCLINED TO WORRY ABOUT THE CHICKENS GIVING MY QUAIL CORYZA......

9. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:Leave well enough along. I have ~300 Bobs in several different pens, and they're all 36" high. Some are 16' long. Yep, they spook real easy, and once the panic starts, you'll think they're all gonna break their necks slammin' into the wire, ceiling, etc..........but, I must say, I might have several dead from the head-on crashes into the wire/walls/ceilings tomorrow, but they always seem to bounce off and keep on truckin'.......................

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by