Looking for a more educated guess

JohnsonHomestead

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 15, 2011
Out in the sticks
Hello everybody, been poking around here for a bit trying to get an idea of just what I have in my dz "Straight Run Heavies" that we just bought at a local chain farm and ranch store(not sure about saying store names). Saw how much fun everybody was having so joined up.
big_smile.png

I started out my game of clue by finding out what hatchery they use(It was one I had heard of here in Texas so I looked them up and went through looking at heavy Black chickens, to see baby pictures. At first it wasn't hard to tell that the one my wife picked out was either older, different breed or both.
My first guess on my other 11 was maybe australorp(think thats right), then was thinking barred rocks, and had decided I had 6 roos, and 5 pullets, that was until this morning.
hmm.png

Now I am seeing some bloodred veins on the new neck feathers of a couple I had thought barred rock hens, now I wonder if they could be sexlinked, lol
Still no idea on George/Georgina, so here is a couple of shot of him/her for your ideas.
backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/91901_photo100.jpg
backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/91901_photo102.jpg

Heres a group shot of the others, when we brought them home, all were black, the ones with spots on their heads were more dark gray compared to the ones without the headspots.
backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/91901_photo102.jpg

Thanks everybody, I have to figure out my web page now.

Would the barred rock pullets have the red comming in around the neck? Of the 11 I thought were BR at first, all the ones with spots on head show obvious barring, where the solid black headed, show no barring, but feathers around neck around crop are showing bright red along the shaft. Thats what had me thinking sexlink, I dunno,lol. Thank you for your 2cents. Looked at your page here, you have some good looking feathered friends.

from the pictures I see barred rocks the ones with barring. Black Sex links, the ones with black heads and the first picture an australorp. Also that aussie looks like a boy. Since they came out of a straight run the barred ones could be black sex link cockrels too. They look like barred rocks too.

Last edited:
ok, so my guessings were not bad for a "new egg", lol.
More time and we will see which way the barred ones go, not seeing any uniform head spots on them so looks like barred or sexlink, they be roos,lol. Will try for better shot of one of the little black with red feathers.
If it turns out to be an aussie period, that will be wonderfull, after reading about them I knew I had to have some. He is very curious about me, hard to get pictures because he gets too close alot, lol.

I got a fair shot of the black chick with red feathers in this bunch only see it on two today,but it popped up seemed like over night on these , I know time will tell for sure breed and gender,but might want to go and see if any of this groups run are still there, might even catch the end of may clearance,lol. Stopping by tomorrow to see if any look like the aussie looking fellow, he needs a hen or two to call his own:D
91901_photo106.jpg

Back
Top Bottom