Looking for a new Incubator. Need Info

jwatts

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
Hello, i have an OLD hova bator still air incubator from prob the 80's. I seem to have alot of problems with it. It took 4 days to reach temp then held for 2 weeks then crept up to 114 deg. I cant take it, i am going to get a new one. I am looking to spent no more than $140 But i would like the bells and whistles. Does anyone have the Little Giant or the Farm inovators Professional Circulated Air Incubator with Egg Turner - 4200? I see the farm inov with everything for about $137. Any info would be greatly appriciated, thank you

OLD Hovabators are AWESOME when they get right. and parts are not expensive.
sounds like your wafer thermostat is loose tighten up the wafer and start by getting the set points right. check all the connections too to make sure nothing is loose from the years passing by.
I have 4 different incubators from the old hovabator I added fan and turner too.
the brand new this year little giant I did the same thing too
a homemade job out of a fish shipping crate they throw away at pet stores.
and a cabinet 3 tray gqf 1270 with all the bells and whistles and a 5 gallon water capacity.
I use the hovabator the most. every hatch this year has spent 18 days in it.
Buy a new one if you want to. but get a fan and an egg turner in it.
fix the old one and use it for the last three days.
I'll sure be glad to help you trouble shoot it and get it holding a steady temp.
If your close enough bring it by or send it to me and I'll be glad to fix it.
I'll even trade the brand new LG to you as I hate it. it hatches a good chick. and my lowest hatch rate of the year has been 87 % and I've been through 7 hatches so far this year.
I've found it dosen't make any difference which incubator I use. the hatch rates are the same.
Don't hesitate to contact me if you want to. I'm always willing to help a brother out.

Hello, i have an OLD hova bator still air incubator from prob the 80's. I seem to have alot of problems with it. It took 4 days to reach temp then held for 2 weeks then crept up to 114 deg. I cant take it, i am going to get a new one. I am looking to spent no more than $140 But i would like the bells and whistles. Does anyone have the Little Giant or the Farm inovators Professional Circulated Air Incubator with Egg Turner - 4200? I see the farm inov with everything for about $137. Any info would be greatly appriciated, thank you

Wow, thank you. The world should be filled with more people like you. I was unaware that they were good and you can still get parts for them. Maybe I might still buy a new one and fix this old one. Now you have me thinking. Lol. Thanks again

OLD Hovabators are AWESOME when they get right. and parts are not expensive.
sounds like your wafer thermostat is loose tighten up the wafer and start by getting the set points right. check all the connections too to make sure nothing is loose from the years passing by.
I have 4 different incubators from the old hovabator I added fan and turner too.
the brand new this year little giant I did the same thing too
a homemade job out of a fish shipping crate they throw away at pet stores.
and a cabinet 3 tray gqf 1270 with all the bells and whistles and a 5 gallon water capacity.
I use the hovabator the most. every hatch this year has spent 18 days in it.
Buy a new one if you want to. but get a fan and an egg turner in it.
fix the old one and use it for the last three days.
I'll sure be glad to help you trouble shoot it and get it holding a steady temp.
If your close enough bring it by or send it to me and I'll be glad to fix it.
I'll even trade the brand new LG to you as I hate it. it hatches a good chick. and my lowest hatch rate of the year has been 87 % and I've been through 7 hatches so far this year.
I've found it dosen't make any difference which incubator I use. the hatch rates are the same.
Don't hesitate to contact me if you want to. I'm always willing to help a brother out.

hey leiro, Do you thik ill need to replace just the wafer? or the whole kit and kabootle? The wires seem fine, it is getting power. I just read that theres gas in the wafer. Let me know what you think. thank you for your time

hey leiro, Do you thik ill need to replace just the wafer? or the whole kit and kabootle? The wires seem fine, it is getting power. I just read that theres gas in the wafer. Let me know what you think. thank you for your time

which ever way you fell better. with the " whole kit and kabootle " you get a new micro switch and all. and considering the dust some chicks coat my dinning room with ( my hovabator is in the dinning room now you know why I'm single ) it is probably a good idea to replace that too. so in your case. be safe. buy it all. and then you have replacement parts left over.

The old still air hovabators are good, adding a fan would make it better for regulating temps, but if you add a fan make sure
you put a fan guard over the spinning blades. I bought a fan kit, installed it, and never gave a thought that the fan didn't have a guard on it. My 1st hatch in it was fine, since I only hatched 4 chicks, but the latest hatch in it I hatched 13 turkey poults, and some of them got injured by the fan. Actually found one hanging by it's wing which was caught in the blade.
So...a fan guard in good insurance especially if you have a full incubator.!!!

Last edited:
I bought a new Hovabator with fan kit installed, the temp/humitdy thermometer thingy and egg turner for $119 at Incubator Warehouse.
That's the exact one I just bought. Do you like yours? I was stumped between the little giant and the hova. It seems better reviews on the hova. I do plan on fixing my old one so therefor I have another one or a backup. Let me know your thoughts on the hovabator.

That's the exact one I just bought. Do you like yours? I was stumped between the little giant and the hova. It seems better reviews on the hova. I do plan on fixing my old one so therefor I have another one or a backup. Let me know your thoughts on the hovabator.

I own them both and a few more. the hovabator is the best little styrofoam incubator on the market in my book.
Not for a better hatch rate because that would not be true. my hatch rates are the same this year in 3 different incubators and 8 hatches.
just because it seals up better or at least seems to. I know light dosent shine through the seems of it like the little giant.
I know the temps are more stable then the little giant. The wafer is much better when run side by side day in and day out.
It has a plastic liner in the bottom of it the little giant lacks ( BIG PLUS )
it holds more water so you don;t need to refill as often ( ANOTHER BIG PLUS )
it is thicker and I don;t feel like I'm going to break it just because I'm handling it. ( ANOTHER BIG PLUS )
hatch ability. they run dead even.
so it's only the big plus that I think it's better. when in reality,, they both work

Back
Top Bottom