Looking for a nice heritage breed....Which one?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickenlovefever, Oct 11, 2011.

1. chickenlovefever

chickenlovefever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    I am thinking about what to breed. I want a nice egg laying heritage breed, one of the older breeds, that is popular and a breed people will want to buy. I have been debating between Delawares and Coronation Sussexes, Because I don't know whether me breeding coronations or delawares will work in the community. I have to be able to make money off of the chickens, so I need a breed to sell for the people who want a breed for meat and eggs, and a breed for the people who want it because it is new and rare.I can get 3 breeds, and I have three pens. Which three breeds do you suggest?
    I want to breed for a purpose.
    TY,
    CLF

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Well, Coronation Sussex is a color variety of Sussex, not an actual rare breed;) It's also kind of a fad, so watch for it, pretty soon it won't be expensive and popular. However, they do make GREAT dual purpose birds.

Delawares are another one that is all a matter of opinion.They're rare and if from true heritage lineage can make some great dual purpose birds, but otherwise, I'm not so sure about them being a really sought after breed. [​IMG] All depends on your buying audience.

If I had to choose only of the two I'd go with the Sussex. Huge birds. [​IMG]

3. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

u could try rose comb rhode island reds

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Sussex [​IMG] But Delawares are beautiful too. We wanted to buy a speckled sussex at the fair, but they didn`t have any... :\\

5. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I would research what is popular where you are and supply that breed, and then try two other breeds, getting lines that are known to produce well. You can always sell them and change. For instance here, people call every barred or cuckoo patterned bird a "Dominicker"and BR do well because people recognize the look. My Delawares are catching on mostly because the eggs are nice and big, and my husband pushes them, but it will take a while. Lots of times a few free eggs convinces people, too. And my NH and JG are causing a bit of interest because they are different.

6. chickenlovefever

chickenlovefever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    Quote:It is really funny you say that, because my friend just recommended me to talk to you about Delawares. I was looking for a nice breeder of heritage in my area, and you are the only one so far, even though I am in VA. She was also thinking about NHs from you. [​IMG]

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Pretty soon heck, [​IMG] I just got some nice Coronation Sussex chicks (about 6 week old or so) cheep, real cheep.
    Lets put it this way I could resell the chicks for 4.00 each and still make money off them. [​IMG]

The cheep is here.

Chris

8. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Chickenlovefever- you are certainly close enough for eggs to get there overnight with no problem !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by