Looking for a nice stuffed squash recipe.

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Pupsnpullets, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Someone gave me 3 beautiful squashes and they are just a little too mature to be sliced and steamed. So, anyone got a nice recipe for stuffing and baking? Thanks

2. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    what kind of squash? zucchini, butternut, acorn?

3. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    Tonight I made a stuffed Mediterranean squash dish, but you could use a fat zucchini just as well:

~ cut off the stalk end and a tiny bit off the blossom end of a fat summer squash and cut squash in half lengthwise

~ cut around the outer edges of the squash leaving a 1/4" to 1/2" shell; score the middle section and scoop it out and dice

~ fry up about 1/4 lb. bulk sausage (either breakfast or Italian) along with some diced onion, bell pepper, garlic, and the diced squash; saute until cooked completely, season with salt and pepper, some torn basil leaves, and some dry bread crumbs; cool slightly and add some grated Parmesan cheese

~ take the squash shells and steam for about 10 minutes in a steamer basket over boiling water with a lid on; test shells with a knife to be sure they are very tender

~ put shells in a greased baking pan, fill with the sausage mixture and bake at 375 F for about 30-40 minutes - until the stuffing is browned and everything is hot through.

note: this turned out delicious, but next time I may not steam the squash shells but just bake them with the filling in them; the skin of this squash is very tender and steaming made the squash boats just a little too soft.

4. Pupsnpullets

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Quote:I have no idea. Do you want a picture of them? They're a light greenish color shaped like a butternut.

5. Pupsnpullets

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Quote:Mmmm......sounds delicious. I love sweet italian sausage.

6. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    Quote:I have no idea. Do you want a picture of them? They're a light greenish color shaped like a butternut.

Sounds like some immature butternut squash a co-worker gave me this past week. She did not know that they were supposed to be harvested in the fall. I'm going to cut one open and see if there is any edible flesh in there, but I have my doubts. Butternut squash are a winter squash and when ripe will be a tan or pale pumpkin and the stem end will dry up and detach from the vine. They can be kept in a basement or garage under cool temps for many weeks. They should be picked before the first frost and should be kept chilled but not allowed to freeze.

The Mediterranean squash I used for the recipe was a bit more bulbous in shape than a zucchini and FWIW I think a zucchini has more flavor than this new (to me) squash - but hey, it was free!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by