1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for a pair of broody hens and some Blue/Green Hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by mountainwhisper, Jan 10, 2011.

1. mountainwhisper

mountainwhisper Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Southwest Virginia
    I am looking for a pair of broody hens near SW VA, Eastern KY, or NE tennessee. I am also looking for some blue/green fertile eggs to put under them. I don't care about breed or showing or any of that. Tempermant matters more than anything else. They will be pets. We would like the fertile eggs to become a small flock of colored egg layers. My sons love the novelty of colored eggs and I like knowing how much they will get out of the experience of keeping chickens. I like what I've learned so far about silkies as broody moms and also I know that bantam variety chickens can often do a good job in this capacity and so I'm open to that too. Color wise my husband likes chickens with some black feathers. He just got out of the military last year and we are back home on the family farm. We have over 200 acres but only have one rabbit, one cat, and one dog right now. All of them were rescue animals. We've had the cat for 9yrs, and the dog and rabbit for 1. I would like to get more animals as time and cash allows.

We are almost to the end of our second attempt at hatching. The first attempt left us with three chicks that all died within four days of hatching, and this attempt is with 22 eggs from an ebay auction that are so thick I couldn't see anything candling, and they are due to hatch the 13th. I hear no peeps and there was rocking in one I thought a couple days ago but nothing since so probably my imagination, because of wanting to have some chicks so badly. My 7yr old son is the one that wanted the blue or green eggs, but I have planned on getting chicks for years and now that I have the space and opportunity it isn't working out like we had hoped.

So for the broodies, breed doesn't matter, bantam or standard doesn't matter, as long as they are broody moms I will be happy. They don't have to be extra friendly, broodies can't be and be good at that from what I've heard. The eggs don't have to be from show quality, just as long as they are blue or green, and local so I don't have to have them shipped. I am DONE with shipped eggs for a while. Just email me or pm me with prices if you have any broodies or any local eggs for sale. Better stock is always a plus but honestly I would be happy with barnyard mixes as well. We've waited so long for chickens and we want to get our flock started. Sooner is better that way I would have some good news to give the boys if this hatch is a flop. I want the broodies anyway, and the next set of eggs will add to the diversity. Either way they are wanted.

2. mountainwhisper

mountainwhisper Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Southwest Virginia
    I found some broodies from two local BYCers. I'm getting two frizzle cochins, and a silkie pair. Hatch attempt #2 was a big flop I opened the eggs today starting at the air cell so I wouldn't kill any if I was wrong.. but 11 out of 22 eggs had chicks, fully formed, and dead as doornails. The other 11 were just yolks.. stinky old yolks with no veining. The only thing I can figure is a couple days ago I went to visit my great granny about 40mins away for a few hours and when I got home the temp had spiked. Now I have an empty brooding box glaring at me [​IMG] Next time I'm going with the Bio Bater.... The boys will have the adult chickens to play with and care for until they can try again for colored egg layers later. They want EE's so badly. I'll be on the lookout for blue or green eggs when the hens go broody. I want to cry, but DH swears that if I do he won't let me get any more eggs. PM me if you are local or will be able to ship some blue or green eggs this spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by