Looking for a preventative natural deworming recipe

Zwillingsmama

Songster
Jun 7, 2018
SF Bay Area
i have 5 chicken they are all healthy but I am thinking i should start a preventative deworming regiment. I know of a few plants , ACV etc. but I am still at a loss when it comes to an actual recipe or time regiment.
I would appreciate if you tell me with what, how much of each and how often you deworm your chicken. At this point I am mainly interested in natural ways which don’t require me to discard the eggs.
Thanks

i have 5 chicken they are all healthy but I am thinking i should start a preventative deworming regiment. I know of a few plants , ACV etc. but I am still at a loss when it comes to an actual recipe or time regiment.
I would appreciate if you tell me with what, how much of each and how often you deworm your chicken. At this point I am mainly interested in natural ways which don’t require me to discard the eggs.
Thanks
There is a 12 day low dose treatment with fenbendazole that does not require tossing the eggs.
Your best bet is keeping their living quarters clean and DRY and if they are on pasture keeping the grass short to allow UV light to hit the ground and kill eggs.

You aren't going to find it. Sorry for being so short, but you simply will not find it. No offense intended. There is no effective natural remedy. Maybe there is a yet to be discovered plant out there in the rain-forest that is effective on worms that the shamans know about, but it is not available to the average citizen.

Would not hurt, but I don't see anything in the ingredients that is known to be an effective wormer. Garlic is sometimes an irritant to parasites, but nothing in that list is a slam dunk for any particular worm, let alone broad spectrum crossing multiple worms.

allium sativum (garlic), ulmus fulva (slippery elm), mentha piperita (peppermint), thymus vulgaris (common thyme), gallium aperine (cleavers), cinnamomum zelandicum (cinnamon), picrasma excelsa (chassis), capsicum minimum (cayenne), foeniculum vulgare (fennel), urtica dioica (nettle).

My understanding is farmers have used Diatomaceous earth has been used for this purpose for centuries. Some feed manufacturers put it in their feed and state the reason why is it helps keep internal parasites in check which increases the health of your birds.

Now if you have an infestation it will not eliminate them completely. But it does help, its all natural, and it will supply lots of minerals as a side benefit. I also sprinkle it in their nesting boxes as its even deadlier on external pests, and is frequently used in gardens as a natural insecticide.

Just make sure its food grade, the non food grade is chemically treated to be used as an extremely fine filter medium. Usually for pools to maintain crystal clear water.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00025H2PY/?tag=backy-20

fyi, I bought ten pounds years ago, a little goes a LONG way. Still have more than half the container left. I occasionally mix a spoonful in a can of tuna for the dog and cat. Its especially important for the cat as he often eats the mice/rats he catches. I'll also occasionally mix a spoonful in a glass of water or juice for myself. You want to drink it first thing in the morning so its on an empty stomach, just more effective that way.

DE works by desiccation of soft bodied invertebrate. It doesn't work in a wet environment. The intestines are a wet environment.
DE is an additive in some poultry feeds as a drying agent, not an anthelmintic.

This is what my local feed mill has to say about Diatomaceous earth and why they put it in their feeds...

"Known benefits of using diatomaceous earth in feed:

• Manure is drier with much less odor
  • Reduces the presence of intestinal parasites
  • Improves feed efficiency and animal health
  • Inhibits mold growth in stored feed.
  • Increase the amount of feed that is actually digested

Diatomaceous Earth may be used for horses, dogs, cats, sheep, goats, alpacas, dairy cows, beef cattle, and poultry (chickens, turkeys and other birds).

You can use topically for help in fly control and darkling beetles.

When feeding FREE CHOICE- Place a bag into a large tub and your animals will eat what they need, but no more. Animals are pretty smart, they smell the minerals they need and what Diatomaceous Earth is and seek it.

Back
Top Bottom