Looking for a processor in SW WA or NW OR...Help please!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mothermayi, Nov 10, 2011.

1. mothermayi

mothermayi New Egg

Nov 9, 2011
    SW WA
    I just got in my first batch of 26 cornish x chicks. I have been looking for several weeks for a processor within about an hour from my home in Clark County WA. I have found a couple, but they charge more than I want to spend (and much more than some of the prices I have seen on here). Can anyone recommend a small scale processor or direct me to where to look? I have looked on some of the links that have been provided in other threads and haven't come up with much. I have asked my local feed store- no luck...I have posted an ad on craigslist- nothing.

I would be willing to assist/learn if anyone is planning on processing around here.

Feel free to pm me!

Help;)

Thanks in advance!

Lisa

2. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    How about looking in the mirror?? [​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I can't help you with a processor.... but I do highly suggest you look into doing it for yourself. You will save a ton of money in the process too as I highly doubt you'll find processing prices as low as you may see for people in the midwest or south.

I would take 3-5 of your biggest a 4 weeks, and process them like game hens for practice. Then do a few more later to spread it out.

If you have never processed before, it really is not small job without help. Figure the learning curve for plucking a single bird start to finish to be about 60-90 minutes. Once you learn how to do it, you can probably spend 15 min per bird total if not less.

Good luck in your processor search.

4. mothermayi

mothermayi New Egg

Nov 9, 2011
    SW WA
    Renee' :

How about looking in the mirror?? [​IMG]

Lol! When I look in the mirror all I see is [​IMG] ! The youtube videos have not given me the confidence to attempt it yet!​

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  5. mothermayi

mothermayi New Egg

Nov 9, 2011
    SW WA
    Quote:Thanks for the advice. I took a class with a man who said he had a processor in Oregon City, OR that processed his birds for $2.50 per bird-(which I would be happy with!), but I haven't been able to find him or the processor. Plucking is the part I am least looking forward to (my dh will be doing the actual cutting).

I noticed a thread of a "processing meet-up". I would be thrilled to join in on one of those to gain some confidence.

6. ShadyHoller

ShadyHoller Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Willamette Valley
    A few months ago, I saw this announcement about a slaughter house in Scio that does small scale processing: http://www.friendsoffamilyfarmers.org/?p=919

with
    only two dozen birds, you might be even more small-scale than this plant accepts.

Bus as previous posters have suggested - why not do it yourself? There are good resources here on BYC to teach you how, and the skills can be acquired with a little practice and determination. It's a rapid learning curve, so after you do a few birds, you'll get the hang of it. Plucking is no sweat if you do your scald right.

7. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    It isn't hard... I am an avid believer of the slitting of the throat.. Some find this to be inhumane, but it is best for the meat. Keep watching YouTube videos and thank the bird and God for everything they have done. Then... Do the deed.

8. mothermayi

mothermayi New Egg

Nov 9, 2011
    SW WA
    Quote:I have checked out the Scio place...I guess I am looking for a more "backyard" processor. You are right- the resources here are fantastic. Thanks for the vote of confidence...It looks like I may be processing these meaties myself. It would be so much easier if I didn't have to though (whine!).[​IMG]

9. mothermayi

mothermayi New Egg

Nov 9, 2011
    SW WA
    Quote:From what I have read/seen (youtube) I have to agree with the slitting of the throat. I am not looking forward to processing, but I appreciate the reminder to be thankful for the sacrifice and the bounty! The good news is I have about 8 weeks to get ready for the event!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by