Looking for a really good Potato Pancake recipe

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by JAPJRGIRL21, Dec 10, 2010.

1. JAPJRGIRL21

JAPJRGIRL21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Hey y'all, I am looking for a really good potato pancake recipe - one that you have tried and really like. Yes, I do know I can get one from the internet, but I want one that someone has tried. Thanks!!

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    What kind do you want? I make latkes That uses shredded potatoes. Just shred your potatoes add an egg and a tablespoon flour season to taste drop by spoonful in hot olive oil fry til golden on both side. Or you can use left over mashed potatoes same as other with egg but dredge the cake in flour before frying. Season to taste.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:To me the best latkes are made this way. Serve with sour cream.

For leftover mashed potatoes or grits I just slice them thick, while cold, and fry as is, for breakfast, with fried eggs, of course.

4. sheila3935

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Quote:To me the best latkes are made this way. Serve with sour cream.

For leftover mashed potatoes or grits I just slice them thick, while cold, and fry as is, for breakfast, with fried eggs, of course.

Yeah I like mine with sour cream too. Just its too early brain not working too good yet forgot to mention that also I have a crazy cockatiel screaming in the room driving me nuts at the moment

5. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I do mine with a shredded onion as well as shredded potato,egg and flour and dont forget the salt gotta have that or its bland

6. JAPJRGIRL21

JAPJRGIRL21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Am I supposed to drain the potato water off?

7. WillieBoy

WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    I like your recipe SugarSand...gonna try it...got a recipe for whole oven roasted muscovey duck..?

8. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    japjrgirl the potatoes should be raw when you shred them Get a cheese grater and grate them down I have never made potato pancakes with cooked potatoes

9. sheila3935

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    my mom used to take left over mashed potatoes and make potato cakes out of them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by