Looking for a recipe - Chicken and Slick Dumplins

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Linda in San Diego, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Grandma and Mom made these but they are in NO recipe book/file that I can find. I think the "slick dumplins" must be a homemade noodle, but really can't find it anywhere. I have only met one other person who even knew what I was talking about.

Anyone in BYC have that recipe?

2. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    Here is my cousin's recipe that I use. Hmmmmm....I think it's time to make these again.

Slick Dumplings for Chicken and Dumplings

2 cups all-purpose flour
    3 tablespoons shortening
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup water

To Make Dumplings: In a medium mixing bowl, cut shortening into the flour and salt. Stir in 1/4 cup water (more if needed) to form a soft dough. Roll out dough on a floured surface, with a rolling pin, until very thin. Cut into 1 inch wide strips using a pizza cutter or knife. Tear off 1 inch long pieces from these strips and drop into simmering broth and chicken meat. Simmer for 10 minutes with the lid off, then 10 minutes more with the lid on. Serve immediately.

3. greyhorsewoman

greyhorsewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Endless Mts, NE PA
    My mother always made 'rivlets' ... a quick alternative to noodles.

2 cups flour
    1-2 eggs (depending on size of egg)
    salt/pepper
    1/2 cup hot water (or enough to make it pasty)

I like to drop it by teaspoons into boiling water and let cook, then transfer to my crockpot. Also add some of the soup broth to the hot water and they absorb more flavor. You can drop directly into soup, but it must be hot (near boiling).

Ingredients are easily adjusted for more/less. Our family LOVES them, so I always make a double batch.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:That is the way we make dumplings. There is no other way (LOL). Bread balls are not dumplings and the corn ones are dodgers. Have never in my life heard them called 'slick' dumplings.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:My mom use to make small batches of those and then transfer them to a soup she called it of hot scalded milk with lots of salt and pepper. Many an afternoon she would make this just for herself.

6. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:My mom use to make small batches of those and then transfer them to a soup she called it of hot scalded milk with lots of salt and pepper. Many an afternoon she would make this just for herself.

This is exactly how our family makes it, except we substitute the water for some of the chicken broth. Make sure the broth isn't too hot, or it can cook part of the egg! [​IMG] Then we roll ours out, (I use the kitchen table covered in flour) cut them into strips with a pizza cutter, let them dry a little bit, flipping them occasionally, then drop them into the boiling broth.

These have been made in my family for generations. [​IMG]

Shelly

7. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    That is the way we make dumplings. There is no other way (LOL). Bread balls are not dumplings and the corn ones are dodgers. Have never in my life heard them called 'slick' dumplings.

Mama made 'dumplings' for chicken and dumplings with just flour, salt, egg, and water. Sometimes she would add seasoning or spices to the dumplings. Roll it out thin, cut and cross cut to make small diamonds. Then drop them in the boiling chicken stuff.

When you add the shortening, they become the 'slick' variety. Those are drop dumplings usually.

Use self rising flour, here.

Yum!!!

Cheri​

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I roll out the same dough that I use for biscuits - martha white self rising flour, buttermilk, lard or shortening.

I never knew any other type of dumpling (rolled out thin and cut into strips) until I was almost 20 and went to someone's house. Dinner was this soupy chicken stuff with giant balls of bread it in. I was taken aback by the name 'chicken and dumplings". I am sure my face showed my thoughts. LOL

9. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Quote:I swear you and my mom are related [​IMG]

My mom uses the same recipe for biscuits for her chicken dumplings, the same way I do.

10. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    ok- you guys are torturing me... what' the REST of the recipe?! I know there's chicken, broth, salt... and....and?! I love this family reunion recipe but have never actually gotten it from anyone. I know it usually involves a crock pot to keep it warm in. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by