looking for a small, very visual friendly incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Darklingstorm, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    I only have a small flock and want to keep it that way. But I would like to hatch my own replacements. I also want to let my son and myself watch the miracle of hatching. So I'm looking for an incubator that is very visual friendly and easy to use. I found this one and was wondering if anyone has used it and what are their thoughts on it or do you know of another that has what I'm looking for?

Mini Advance Fully digital 7 Egg Incubator
    [​IMG]

7 egg capacity (12 small eggs with optional insert)

Temperature factory preset at 99.5 F (37.5°C) but fully adjustable

High and low temperature alarms

Fan assisted air circulation

Humidity provided by water trays; not suitable for automatic humidity control.

Automatic egg turning - turning interval and turning angle programmable

Count down to hatch day with autostop

Clear dome for excellent visibility

Robust hygienic ABS construction for easy cleaning

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Rock on Mama! I do not have this unit and have never used one but have been admiring it for some time now. I think because it holds less eggs, I wouldn't be as tempted to hatch so many.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have the Brinsea Mini advance and just love it. I am very happy with it and would buy it again.

Only downsides are the water pots dry out quickly (in lockdown I still have to open it every 24 hours to fill) and the chicks don't dry out in it - I have to move them to the brooder after a few hours (3 or 4) to dry out IF no one is pipping at the time. I never open it during pipping - but would if the water pots were drying up.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  4. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    Quote:They don't give a great detail on the item, but the above picture shows a "tank" on the outside. Is this a water tank? do you have to open the whole thing to add every time?

never mind, just saw a video. Now I want one!!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    The Brinsea octagons will hold 2 doz+ eggs and the water basins are the bottom and don't dry out easily when in lock down. We use them for chicken, geese, call ducks, quail and peafowl. Well worth the investment and often you can get a newly used ones for a good price. There is one for sale here on BYC right now.

6. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    I used this incubator for small hatches. It is cheap, easy to clean, no worries about temperature, humidity, or power outages and still fun to watch the process/candle the eggs. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I have that bator, very easy to use. Does dry out quick like chickensaresweet said but i put a kitchen paper towel in the water pot then fill it for lockdown and it keeps the humidity stable for longer.
    It is perfect if you only want to do small hatches and you get a great view to see the chicks hatch.

8. turtlewomyn

turtlewomyn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2011
    Tallahassee, Florida
    I was thinking about getting this one: http://www.carolina.com/product/living+organisms/animals/chick+embryology/chickbator.do?sortby=ourPicks

My
    DD (6) would love to watch this process with me and I have a tiny backyard flock that I might need to replace in a couple years. But then I was figuring that to replace a flock of three I would need to incubate maybe a dozen eggs (if I get them shipped half might not hatch, then half might be roos, so I would end up with three pullets, but then I might want to make sure that I can get DH to build a larger coop to fit more birds, just in case.....then if I didn't get more than 3 pullets we could always take a trip to the local feed store to buy more..... I think I have my chicken math right).

I should probably save up for that one instead!

9. Creed Bennett

Creed Bennett Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    I did quite a bit of research on small incubators. I wanted a small one for the same reasons that you do. I ordered one of those this weekend and can't wait for it to get here.

10. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I have the regular model (not the advanced) as well as 2 of the octagon 20's.. love all of them

I have 8 muscovy duck eggs stuffed into my mini right now [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by