looking for a state with cheap housing and farmland

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by hypnofrogstevie, Dec 14, 2007.

1. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I am looking for a chicken friendly state with the above topic. My father left my brother and I both ALOT Of MONEY!!! in his will. So later in the future "I hope not now" I want to move to a nice place with alot of land

Please no negative comments.

EDITED: Thanks PC for the wise info

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2007
  2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I'd like to find that too. West Virginia has some beautiful little
    farms I've been dreaming about.

I like realtor.com

Just pick a state and start searching.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  3. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    Well Steve with that kind of money, I don't think you have to worry about cheap farmland. $1.7 million will buy a chunk of property & build a house in any state. I don't know US prices but in Canada, farmland prices vary from province to province.

Here is a link..
    http://www.landmarketer.com/Home/DetailNewsPage/tabid/87/Default.aspx?DocumentId=55

"We're underpriced in Saskatchewan - we've been underpriced forever," Weber says. "You can't hardly touch land for $1,200 an acre in Manitoba, and walk across the line going west (to Alberta) and it is $1,600 an acre. We've been $400 or $500 an acre here for 10 years."

If it was me, I would pick the state I want to live in & go from there. Oh, & welcome to the millionaires club. Invested wisely, the return on that money will guarantee you never have to work again.

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Thanks for the link [​IMG]. It dont matter as long as its alot of land and as long as its chicken friendly. After the whole cavuto chicago ban I cant lose my chicks

6. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I've been looking at farms in CO -- you can still find land for less than $1000 an acre if you don't need to be all that close to the city. There's also a lot of great farm land here in TN that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I hear KY is a great place to find a farm, too. Aw heck -- I'll just sell you my place! [​IMG]

7. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Not much is cheap here in Colorado, trust me on that one.

If you want a free state that won't trample on your rights, I guess WY is the place to go. Try to find a part of it that's not windy though.

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  9. Kentucky~Momma

Kentucky~Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    South Central Kentucky
    I agree with the post two above me! We moved here because we could find the land, and we love the area. Great little spot to be.... right here in Kentucky... [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Tennessee and Kentucky, then some parts of North Carolina would be where I'd start, away from the major cities.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by