Looking for a vet to neuter a rooster

Chickenlady002

In the Brooder
May 6, 2020
Hello! This year, I added six new chickens to my flock from a hatchery, and I ended up with two roosters ( I only requested females). I plan on keeping them and I don’t mind that they won’t produce eggs but I need them to be neutered. My local vet doesn’t do this and I am not sure what felicity will. I live in Connecticut, and any recommendations will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

You can Google "avian vet near me" and it should show you the options near you. Avian vets are hard to find. I know some folks here have successfully caponized (?) their cockerels but it has to be done when the bird is young. This is a hot topic around here, so just keep in mind that we all want the best for your birds. I like a cockerel/rooster the way nature intended, but we're all different, and I can respect that. Please do lots of research regarding this procedure beforehand. It's risky

Last edited:
Hi...... I just wanted to let you know that there is a large chance your rooster will die during this. If the vet is experienced, (more than 100 roosters done) then there is a way greater chance he will live. It is very dangerous to have a rooster neutered, but yes, it can be done. I'm just letting you know. :)

Also, if I were you - I would just re-home the roosters if your not allowed to keep them. I would hate loosing them to surgery. But that's just me. :)

Out of pure curiosity- why are you caponizing a rooster? What are you hoping to accomplish by doing that?

Here is some golden advice that will save you hundreds of dollars and days of hassle: give the roosters away!!! Seriously, you can't be that attached to them if you just hatched them- and it's also better for the roosters.

Most avian vets will not do it. Very few actual poultry vets out there, and my guess is of those, many of them won't do it either as it's something that really isn't done anymore in the US. Most people who want capons learn to do it themselves.

Also, how old are the roosters? If they are past 4 weeks old I don't think you can caponize them.
Actually it's usually 8-12 weeks, usually whenever the bird hits 2 pounds. At 4 weeks, only actual experts would have much hope at getting anything done

I don't think vets will do it though. Birds don't react to anesthesia well and I doubt a vet is willing to neuter a bird that's fully conscious

Please, please, please, don’t rush into neutering your roosters!!! If you are worried about having unwanted chicks, just don’t let the fertile eggs develop!!! You can eat fertile eggs, so neutering a rooster would be a little pointless if that is the reason. :)

Actually it's usually 8-12 weeks, usually whenever the bird hits 2 pounds. At 4 weeks, only actual experts would have much hope at getting anything done

I don't think vets will do it though. Birds don't react to anesthesia well and I doubt a vet is willing to neuter a bird that's fully conscious

Thanks for the correction.

Back
Top Bottom