1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

looking for a young bottle fed baby goat- MD

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by ducktails, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ducktails

ducktails Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2008
    Maryland
    Last year I raised a baby goat whose mother rejected him so he imprinted on me. It was the most rewarding and saddest experience in my life. After a couple of months, I returned him to his farm where he died of bloat. My finance has a 20 acre farm and I desperately want to get another young bottle fed goat who would love people and make a great pet. Any out there?

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    First, where are you in Maryland? I am in Thurmont, north of Frederick, south of Gettysburg, PA.

Second, most people don't bottle feed unless, like you said, the mother rejects. I have several neighbors who raise goats. My one neighbor had a wether rejected a couple of years ago (Peanut) and he will be with them forever and can not understand why at 150lbs, he can not come in the kitchen anymore.

If you want, I can let my neighbors know that you are interested if they have a kid needing to be bottle fed. Most of them will not start having kids until early April. I am scheduled to get two wethers (for pets from my one neighbor this spring.

3. ducktails

ducktails Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2008
    Maryland
    I am in Cambridge, MD on the eastern shore, but would travel to find the right goat. I just had such a wonderful experience with him thinking that I was his mother. He followed me around like a dog and always wanted to be held in my lap.

4. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    ducktail - I think I PM'd you. but, just in case, I will let my neighbors know and if they have one that is rejected and requires bottle feeding, I will get in contact with you.

5. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Look for someone who raises dairy goats, nearly all dairy herds bottle feed their babies.

I have one available, but I'm a bit far away.

You can usually get a heck of a good price on a wether, as they are *sadly* virtually worthless.

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by