looking for advice and opinion

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by bobshere, Feb 21, 2015.

1. bobshere

bobshere Chillin' With My Peeps

Last year i turned my 6x6 shed into a chicken coop and occupied it with 5 rsl's. This worked out very well with no complaints from neighbors. Im in the city with a no animal bilaw but decided to try anyways. So far so good. This year im thinking about getting a few turkeys and putting them in my 8x8 shed. I plan on having them slaughtered at about 12 weeks of age. My question is will they be too noisey and annoying for neighbors? I would appreciate some good advice...thanks

2. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    Are you getting broad breasted turkeys? My pet turkeys started to make noise at about 9-12 weeks, so you might get busted with turkeys

3. bobshere

I was thinking large white or bronze. Those are the only 2 i can buy started at 3 weeks.

4. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    I'd go for the white if you're definitely going to eat them. They're a lot more aesthetically pleasing after they're plucked than than the bronze

5. bobshere

Ok thank you. Anyone have anymore comments on noise?

6. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    that's not old enough to grow them to maturity, they will not have much meat on the large frame yet. But they also won't be sexually mature and are pretty quiet at that age.

Broad breasted birds are relatively inactive anyhow compared to heritage. But you'll have to find a way to dispose of a larger amount of bedding/manure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by