looking for advice for breed of Roo

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Doebob, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Doebob

Doebob Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2017
    Indiana
    Hi all,

I am a new Chicken mama and I won't be getting my chicks until the end of May. My husband and I just closed on our house and we wanted to get settled in before we started. I have been doing my reading and studying all the information out there for general flock management, but I have a dilemma that I was hoping to get advice on. I am getting 10 pullets from mypetchicken.com. They are all different breeds. The list of the breeds I am getting are below. I have gotten permission from the hubs to add a cockerel to that list, but I am not sure which breed to go with. And since I am only allowed one rooster (per city and hubs), I worry about getting one that will not suit, I am leaning towards a Silver Wyandotte or a New Hampshire Red. I would like to go more towards utility breeds, so that I can hatch and raise meat birds.

I live on an acre property in the middle of the city. My home is a corner lot with busy streets on the front and left side of the property, but the backyard is fully fenced with a large privacy fence. We have neighbors within a stone's throw of the fence on the back and right sides of the property. I plan on turning a 10x12 shed into a functioning coop/human work area and have plans to make a 12x45 run for the flock before winter hits again. Until then we will brood inside the house and house them in a temporary pre-fab coop we bought when they are big enough for the great outdoors.

Here is my list of girls already on the order: (names are in parenthesis)

White Leghorn (Foggie/Foghorn)
    RIR (Uma)
    Buff Orpinton (LaLa)
    Barred Plymouth Rock (Judy)
    Silver Laced Wyandotte (LuLu)
    Speckled Sussex (Chooks McKenzie)
    Easter Egger (Esther)
    New Hampshire Red (Molly)
    Silver Spangled Hamburg (Dottie)
    Buff Brahma (Queenie/Queen Cleopatra)

Anyone have issues with a rooster and large variety of hens/breeds? I am assuming that the rooster will crossbreed with any and all of the ladies.

I am willing to use a no crow collar, but I would like to try to go without. I know that Wyandottes have a reputation of being "chatty", does that mean a rooster would crow more often? I do realize that each bird will have its own personality and preferences, but a breed trait would be good to know.

I am also willing to go with a breed that is not one that corresponds with one of the hens, like a Jersey Giant or other good utility bird.

Thanks for any help and advice,

Sherry

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I think your breed is fine. The main issue, if you get the cockerel at the same time, is that he will be hit with hormones way before they will, and will be chasing and biting them while they haven't even started getting ready to lay yet. You might consider getting your cockerel a little later; there will be tons available via craigslist, he will basically be grown out for free or a very low price, and his current owners will be aware of if he is a nonstop crower, or shows human aggression, or anything like that.

3. Doebob

Doebob Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2017
    Indiana
    Thank you. I am worried about I integration with the hens and the chance that he will not fit well once the hens pecking order is established. Is that something that I should be concerned about?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by