Looking for advice for critical condition hen after a mite infestation

Michael A

Chirping
Jun 12, 2019
Lake Asbury , Florida
Hi, 2 weeks ago, I noticed that one of my hens (15 months old)had stopped laying eggs, was a bit lethargic. Iv'e only owned hens for just over a year and did not know the cause. Some threads had suggested molting and some mites. 7 days ago she lost her appetite and It turned out my coop had a bad mite infection.

Last Sunday, I cleaned out my coop sprayed it with a Permethrin solution and applied Diatomaceous earth to the ground inside and out of my coop. Especially where they rest.

I also sprayed my hens with really thoroughly with Poultry Protector, I could see the mites die. The next day, I treated their backsides and bottoms with Seven Dust, careful not to get dust near their faces or breath it in.

At that stage my sick hen was still eating treats. I gave her some cantelope and sratch but she was not eating feed.

Thursday after noon she seemed to be laboring in her breathing (it was hot in Florida) and I tube fed her 40ml of water, with save-a-chick electrolyte and 1/32 tsp Tylosin

I suspected she had gone anemic.

Friday after some research on the proper dosage I gave her 1/20th tsp tylosin, mixed in a 60ml tube of water, Exact baby bird food and 1ml of poultry cell. Then two other meals of just 60ml Exact and Water

Saturday I did the same as Friday but she is getting weaker could barely walk.

Sunday, (today) so far I have given 1/20th tsp tylosin, mixed in a 60ml tube with water, Exact and 1ml of poultry cell. But it is not working, she is still lethargic, wobbly and has a bit of a rattle in her lungs

Good thing is she doesn't seem to mind being fed by syringe.

I have checked her poop and it looks normal with no signs of worms. All of my other hens seem perfectly fine.

Any suggestions? I have a full range of bird antibiotics and supplements. Do I just wait it out or try something else?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike

IMG_0102.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0100.JPG
    IMG_0100.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Can you put her in a warm room (80-85 degrees is ideak). Once warmed, tube warmed Pedialyte to her. Give 14 ml per pound, wait 60-90 minutes and repeat, then do it once more in 2-4 hours. Can you post a picture of her poop?

Thank you. As soon as i saw your post i went to the store and got clear pedialyte. I warmed up 65 ml and gave it to her. But before it all went in, her crop over flowed and she choked on it. There was still some food in there from the meal i gave her 4 hours earlier.

Unfortunately, she started choking and pedialyte got into her lungs, now when she breathes there is a gurgling sound. I hope that i don't kill her with my treatments.

This is the last poo she did, it is runny and green.

Also, the outside temperatures are not bad this week. It was hot Wednesday but has been pretty cool for Florida ever since.

Did i mess up badly getting it into her lungs?
IMG_0104.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0105.PNG
    IMG_0105.PNG
    63.7 KB · Views: 8
I'll wait a couple of hours and see if her crop clears before I give more. That will be 8pm, just before her bed time. Should I mix Exact with the Pedialyte?

Also in the morning should i giver her food first or pedialyte?

Thanks again

PS she seems not to be gurgling anymore 7pm and she just made another poo. It does look like there may be a worm or two in it. I have been adding Diatomaceous earth to their feed for about 6 weeks
IMG_2860.jpg

Last edited:
Hi casportpony
She cleared her own lungs within an hour.

I have given her 3 serves of pedialyte and two feedings since yesterday afternoon. I plan to give her one more dose of pedialyte before sunset.

Today was day 4 on Tylosin.

She has also had a couple of healthy looking poop's today. I think she is doing better; Has a bit more energy but still not walking around much or eating on her own. I don't get the feeling she is critical anymore but recovering.

I don't know for sure but it seems like her lack of balance may be keeping her from walking. She can't even perch at this stage.

Do you think i should add selenium or vitamin e to the mix?

Thanks again.

Hello, any advice would be appreciated... She is getting worse despite my best efforts. ANY ONE? the first photo is from two days ago the second is from today. there has been a big change in her comb color

Attachments

• IMG_0100.JPG
    IMG_0100.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2873.jpg
    IMG_2873.jpg
    743 KB · Views: 8
UPDATE: My local vet checked her stool and she was clear of worms and Coccidiosis. Once those were ruled out, I took her to see the vet and he could not tell me what was wrong but thought she would not recover. So i put her to sleep.

I am sending her body off for an autopsy. I'll update this thread with the results. Maybe it will help someone else

I got the results back from the Necropsy already.

Egg Yolk Peritonitis is what killed her, other than that she was healthy.

Cause. Not sure but I did make a change to the coop a couple of months ago, I added a small solar light after one of my hens fell off the perch and beat herself to death trying to jump back up in the dark.

I read an article that said " Treatment for Egg Yolk Peritonitis : There is no real home treatment for this... however, if you are using light in the coop, cease. "

Apparently, a lit coop, even dimly lit can really throw them. It turns mites had nothing to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom