1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for advice on chicken run roof

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JimNAZ, May 1, 2016.

1. JimNAZ

JimNAZ Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2016
    Seligman Arizona
    Hello

We have a 10'x20' run with straight sides 6' high. My posts on the long sides are 5' apart for a total of 5 posts (including corners). I'll have 4 posts (including corners) on each short side. We want a curved roof and I'm looking for suggestions.
    We originally was going to do the cattle panel run as shown on this site but decided on straight walls. If we still go with cattle panels there will be a lot of waste since we will not be using them for the sides. If we go with PVC or bent pipe, they both are usually sold in 10' lengths which is same length of the width of run. So, I would need 2 pieces for each arch and also some type of coupler. This is also a waste of materials.

Anyone have ideas on how to do this?

Thanks
    Jim

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Alot of people choose to use fishing line as a roof. If you fashioned a triangle and Ran a pipe along the peak to support the line, criss crossing the fishing line through the run up the peak and down the other side. I realise this isn't quite a curve but it would give you head room and you would have little waste.

3. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Ohh unless you were trying to make it weather proof, sorry

4. JimNAZ

Feb 9, 2016
    Seligman Arizona
    Thank you for the suggestion. I need to make it predator proof and also will be adding some sort of roofing.

5. JimNAZ

Feb 9, 2016
    Seligman Arizona
    Thank you for the suggestion. We need to make this predator proof and structurally sound for some sort of roofing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by