Looking for advice on mite prevention.

linsey

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 4, 2014
I just got my first set of chickens three weeks ago. They're 6 week old leghorns and are in the coop at night. Free range during the day. I'm just wondering what are some ways (if any) to prevent mites in the coop. Thanks! :)

linsey

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 4, 2014
They don't have them. Is just like to prevent. I hear they're a pain to get rid of!

donrae

Hopelessly Addicted
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Southern Oregon
Best prevention in my opinion is good flock management. Healthy, happy, low-stress birds have strong immune systems and aren't easy prey for parasites. Overcrowded, overmated, stressed birds are susceptible to every blessed thing that comes along--disease, parasite, what have you. Giving your birds plenty of space is key. Free ranging puts you up there on the list! Good nutrition helps give them resistance, also.

I've heard wood ashes help repel external parasites. I dump mine in the coop or run and the birds do dust bathe in them. I can't say for sure the ashes do much, as the birds don't have any in the summer and still don't get parasites. I don't think it hurts, and I need someplace to dump the ashes, and the birds like it.

Top Bottom