looking for advice

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by geraldwhite, Nov 1, 2016.

1. geraldwhite

geraldwhite New Egg

Nov 1, 2016
    A local school is putting on a play and one scene is located in a barn. I was asked if i can bring my hens on the stage to enhance the scenery. I have a couple of questions regarding this idea.
    1. How well will the chickens adapt to the stress?
    2. Can i separate my flock of 5 for a couple of hours?
    3. if i can how can i set it up so the chickens will feel the most secure?

thank you

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I think if you can keep them in small cages, and if they are a generally docile breed, you should be okay. I'd make it clear you don't want anyone rushing up and scaring them. They might reduce egg production for a few days afterward but I don't think there'd be any lasting harm.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Can you ensure that there won't be any biosecurity issues associated with this? Personally, I think I'd decline and suggest that they opt for some stuffed critters. What age are the actors? That might make a difference. I've taken some of my birds to school before to do a presentation, but they were never out of my presence or control.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It would be very stressful for most birds.....and may not enhance the production at all, but detract from it with squawking, pacing, pooping birds.

2 people like this.
  5. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    My experience has always been, nothing good comes from taking animals to school. There a few exceptions, but for the most part, I would avoid it like the plague.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I think I'd skip it, myself, I might consider taking one of my mature, not currently laying hens if I really wanted to get someone down there. But not an active young layer, too much going on.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Some birds can do very well with 'visitations' ....but takes some 'training' and acclimation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by