Looking for ALL Black Penedesenca owners/breeders

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by ChickenCanoe, Oct 9, 2011.

1. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Black Penedesencas.
    I have 7 laying pullets and 3 roosters and I'd like to know where everyone else is that has them.
    They really have a lot of nice qualities.
    They seem once again on the cusp of disappearing but this time only in the US.
    I'd like to trade/buy and sell/trade eggs or chicks.
    I'd also like to exchange information because the Penedesenca Club is very inactive and so few people on there have blacks.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Oh darn. I opened this up hoping to see photos.

3. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    I was given chicks this spring and currently have 2 pullets and a roo. I don't believe they've started laying as I haven't seen the really dark eggs I've been expecting. They are beautiful birds.

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Quote:OK - here you go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Wow you have some stunning birds! Your pics really got me excited because I was lucky enough to buy 18 black penedesenca eggs last weekend from a breeder at a show near my home and I have them in the incubator now. I was so excited at the time that I don't think I even asked the seller/breeder her name! Wish I could find her on here though as she mentioned having the crele variety as well... [​IMG]

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    No Black Penedesenca owners on BYC?

7. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I know they're rare but with 110,000 members I thought someone would respond.

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

I was hoping there would be some responses too. [​IMG]

I would dearly love to try hatching some as they are gorgeous birds! What is the temperment like? Are they flighty or??

Do you have eggs to sell? Would you even consider selling hatching eggs? I would soooo snap them up!

9. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Quote: I’d love to get this off the ground before they disappear from the US.

I like almost everything about them.
    Flighty? They'll never be lap birds but I call it extremely wary and standoffish. That said, I don't handle any of my birds very often so even my JGs and Orps are skittish around me though I can usually pick them up. So in the posession of a more hands on pet type owner they may become more tame.
    The chicks are very skittish, perhaps the worst I've had but as they age they know where food comes from and run up for treats but only at a long arms length.
    This has some advantages. The roosters aren't aggressive to humans and the flocks get along well together and with others.
    Their alertness works great for daytime predators and I really don’t worry about them.
    My pens have brush, shrubs and berries in parts of them and I know a hawk is coming long before I see it. The hens scoot for cover and the roosters stand like statues facing the hawk. Eventually I see the hawk swoop, make a few passes and leave.
    They can fly but are fast runners and prefer to run than fly. I keep them in 3 foot high pens and they don't try to get out. My other Mediterranean breeds fly out of 4 and 5 foot pens.
    They’re so fast 2 day old chicks are nearly impossible to catch. I’d hate to lose one but I’d be very curious to watch a dog or fox try to catch an adult. For this reason it’s important to house/pen them well initially until they get used to home. Maybe even a little longer than other breeds. To handle them I build all my coops with access doors/windows next to the roosts so I can move them around after dark.
    They’re a great free range bird.
    The Crele, Partridge and Wheaten are lighter egg breeds. Only the Black is a dual purpose bird and their meat is renown in Spain for its flavor and marbling.
    Known as the Gall de Penedes, their meat sells for much more in markets than other chicken often offered dressed with the head intact so people know what bird they’re getting for the premium price.
    Go to this link and hit the plus sign on the picture next to Gall Pota Negra sencer
    http://www.montsoliu.com/ca/productes/carn-gall-pota-negra#

If you want to get a look at them and their demeanor check out this video

It’s in Catalonian with English subtitles.

I can attest to their hardiness. The chicks are amazing. And then there's the dark egg thing.

[​IMG]

You can PM me about eggs, I’m set up to ship them now.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  10. janchilds

janchilds Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2011
    Virginia
    After watching the video and reading the web sites you posted (thank you very much!)... I'm in! We currently raise broilers that meet the Label Rouge standards. These would make a great addition as a dual purpose breed.

What level of egg production are you getting from your hens?
    Have you raised any of the roos for meat? What ~weight are they at 4 months? Do know dressing %'s by chance? Have you tasted them?

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by