Looking for alternative sources of heat for an incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stone_family3, Mar 19, 2012.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    My dad found a 2nd wine cooler that I want to turn into the hatching incubator. It'll be turned on prior to transfer and all the eggs will be transferred there to hatch safely. I am planning on putting egg turners in the one I currently have and the hatcher will hold the eggs on their side in small plastic totes. I want to use a smaller and more effective heat source. I was thinking of using one of those flat ceramic heat emitter bulbs they use for reptiles.

Any other suggestions would be awesome.

Here is the bulb I'm talking about.
    [​IMG]
    Also thinking of adding one of these to get and keep the humidity up, another problem I've been having recently. I can't get the humidity up higher then 44% and then it drops rapidly.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

3. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I'll be using a medium wine cooler as my incubator and the foggier has a control on it to adjust it, that wouldn't be enough?

The one in the picture is the zoo med one like you have mentioned on the link. I'm really not technical and the cost of what was made is the cost of the zoo med one.

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Not sure. Never owned one like that. Mine is just a disk that plugs in.
    The Zoo med thing in the link is just a controller to plug the foggier in to.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by