Looking for Amprolium side effects.. medical mystery..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by alessadry, Apr 3, 2011.

1. alessadry

alessadry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    I cannot find any literature about amprolium side effects. Since it is a medication, I am sure there have to be some sort of side effects.. I have a five week old chick I have posted here a lot about that has been scratching her neck till getting it bloody since she was 3 days old. I tried antibiotics, neosporin, vitamin E, anti-mite products, the only thing that seemed to ease a bit the scratching was a few drops of Vitamin E on the skin and a few drops of benadryl given orally.. now since the benadryl seems to ease the itching I am assuming it may be an allergy, but to what?

All she has been exposed to is paper towels, natural pine pellets, and the chick starter with amprolium.. since this started at 3 days old the only thing that comes to mind that could cause an allergic reaction is the amprolium added to her feed..before taking her off of it.. I was looking for any side effects listed.. but oddly cannot find any on the internet..

-I am ruling out something neurological since she was fine when we got her and the scratching started at three days old
    -I know it is not ear mites because I treated her with an anti-mite product and all the other chicks are ok.. if it were mites they would be all itching as well
    -I know it is not an ear infection as she was on an antibiotic for 10 days (duramycin)
    -It is not feathers growing since it is extreme where she cries, scratches and at times tosses her self on the floor, no other chick does this
    -It is not a vaccine reaction to the Marek's shot as my hatchery suggested since by now it would have been gone.

All that remains is an allergy to something.. and the amprolium is the only thing that comes to my mind..

2. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    are you sure theres not a tiny sharp piece of eggshell or something stuck in her ear canal from hatching thats irritating/causing pain? not sure how you'd check but its another possibility?

3. alessadry

alessadry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    That could sound like something possible but she scratches both sides of her neck...first one side and then the other..also, wouldn't she have started at one day old instead of three?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If she is allergic to it, that is technically not a side effect, it is just that, an allergy. I can't find any reference to an allergy to it, either, though.

The classic test to prove allergy to a particular substance would be remove the substance, see the symptom go away, return the substance, and have the symptom return.

Not recommending a thing here. Perhaps the Benadryl and E are the way to go. In human kids, allergies often disappear when they get older. I've never heard of allergy to amprolium, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

Good luck with your chick.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by