1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for an Ameraucana Chick to buy near Stockton/Modesto California Area.

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by lovelyxsher, Mar 5, 2016.

1. lovelyxsher

lovelyxsher Just Hatched

Mar 5, 2016
    Hi! Anyone know any places near my area? I've already called feed stores around the area and they won't be getting any till end of this month. I want one now. Please let me know.

Thanks! :D

2. curious chickee

curious chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

All of our feed stores just got theirs, Madera

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Unlikely that your feed store will stock ameraucana. More than likely x they will be Eastereggers.

4. curious chickee

Yes ours are hatchery ameracauna in other words EE

5. lovelyxsher

lovelyxsher Just Hatched

Mar 5, 2016
    Where?

6. lovelyxsher

lovelyxsher Just Hatched

Mar 5, 2016
    Where?

7. lovelyxsher

lovelyxsher Just Hatched

Mar 5, 2016

Where?

8. curious chickee

3V feeds in madera had ameracauna (EE) pullets

9. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado

No they aren't. EEs are not the same thing as hatchery ameraucana. They would have to have pure bred ameraucana to start with and only breed them to each other in controled color groups. They breed random brown egg layers to random blue egg layers and the result is a non standard cornucopia of chickens.
    It is important to call them what they are to eliminate the confusion. Buyers are taken advantage of everyday thinking they bought the real McCoy when they actually bought a mutt

10. curious chickee

The OP is looking for the chicks at feed stores, meaning they want hens that lay colored eggs. I was labeling them for the OP benefit. If they walk into the feed store they have to ask for Ameracauna as that is what our local hatchery and stores calls their EE. (Belt and cackle supply the chicks) Most hatcheries around here do not carry true ameracauna which Is why I labeled them hatchery Ameracauna.

I know the difference as I plan on getting black ameracauna from an exhibition breeder, and I currently have EE which I bought from belt hatchery who sells them as Ameracauna.

11. curious chickee

Very few hatcheries that breed true Ameracauna breed to the SOP and a lot of ameracauna breeders will call their chicks EE if they don't meet the SOP expectations. Which is why I label them hatchery ameracauna.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by