1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Looking for an Elderberry Wine or Cordial recipe

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by VT Chick-lit, Jul 23, 2008.

1. VT Chick-lit

VT Chick-lit Out Of The Brooder

I am looking for a sweet Elderberry wine or cordial recipe. I have a huge (12 foot or so) Elder Bush that is full of berries that will be ripe at the end of the summer. I have not tried to use them in the past but this seems such a waste. This year the crop of berries seems exceptionately large.

I have looked on the internet for wine recipes to use the berries but all the recipes that I hae found seem complicated and require special equipment and special types of yeast. If anyone has a simple and delicious sweet wine recipe using elderberries I would love to try it. [​IMG]

2. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I use the Anne of Green Gables 'Raspberry Cordial' Recipe...comes out wonderful every time and IT never lasts.

2 parts raspberry juice
    2 parts vodka
    1 1/4 parts sugar

Combine all ingredients and stir until sugar is dissolved. Store in large bottles for 22 days. Pour into gift bottles and seal.
    I use the old swing top bottles...sometimes I throw in a cinnamon stick for some pep. Sometimes I'll float fresh raspberries in the bottle too.

Ok...going to make some tomorrow!! [​IMG]

3. VT Chick-lit

[​IMG]
    That Raspberry Cordial recipe sounds easy and delicious. I think I will try it with the elderberries, and since I also have a raspberry patch, I will also try it with them as well. I think it might make delicious gifts for adult friends and family for the holidays. Thanks fr the recipe! [​IMG]

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I can see one small problem with that recipe and elderberries.....they are poisonous until cooked. Since that recipe has no cooking involved it might not be safe?

5. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Ahh...good advice...I have never had elderberry ANYTHING> I just googled it and it is poisonious if not cooked...it says it does not have the normal pectin that most berries have so when you cook them it will not thicken. Interesting...maybe I'll make some elderberry cordial. It says to pick them like grapes or currants and destem and then cook whole.

I'll PM VTChickIT just in case...do not want them to poison themselves!! LOL

6. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I'll PM VTChickIT just in case...do not want them to poison themselves!! LOL

Good idea. [​IMG] I should have instead of just assuming they would check back. I didn't know they were either and I have a HUGE bush of them....one day I popped one in my mouth and bit down...I could tell it wasn't right so I googled it. Then I called my Dad and said "why didn't you tell me that". He said "oh, I just thought you knew". LOL

I plan to use mine for jelly...but if they were cooked first, the cordial sounds AWESOME!!!!​

7. VT Chick-lit

Hi Ya'll. I got the message regarding the fact that elderberries are poisonous [​IMG] unless ripe and cooked. I was not aware of this. Every day, I learn something new at Backyard Chickens! This was an important lesson. I will be careful when I process the berries this fall. Thanks again. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by