Looking for answers PLEASE my heart is breaking UPDATE - She died overnight

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenchick99, Dec 30, 2014.

1. chickenchick99

chickenchick99 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2014
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    My favourite hen has been limping for 2 days (she is approx 4-4.5 months old and I raised her as a day old)

Appetite and thirst normal (she is a piglet and is the only one who comes in to my house, follows me around like a puppy, will lie upside down in my arms like a baby...)

She was hobbling around all day and then when I went to put everyone to bed she was in a corner in the barn. I picked her up and cuddled her as usual and when I put her down she couldn't stand (today I noticed her favouring her left leg and quite often standing on it) Her right leg now seems completely lame - the claws won't wrap around my finger and seems to be mored together than spread apart as usual) She had IB (my best guess according to this site approx 6 weeks ago and did a course of antibiotics) and is fully recovered from that as far as I know. I have 30 chickens, they all had runny beaks and some had rattling in their chests (she did).

I have inspected her body and legs and see no injuries other than what looks like a tiny hole/chunk missing from the tip of one of her talons under the claw (yesterday just the right middle one, today the left middle as well - see pics).

When I saw her limping I suppose I should have caged her to let her save her energy.

Right now she is in a cage in the living room, eating and drinking but very quite. Sitting there looking perfect, but she can't stand.

Any ideas?

Update - she died between midnight and this morning.

I am so new to chickens, have no idea what this was and what to look for in the rest of my flock. I am SO disappointed that only one person had the heart to comment on my post

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  2. chickenchick99

Oct 16, 2014
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    PS, none of my chickens have ever been de-wormed (everyone I know in the vicinity doesn't de-worm, or deals with it if they see worms - any advice is welcome), I have never seen worms in any of their poop and none of them will eat oyster shell - I have in in a separate dog dish, have 30 birds and it is still mostly full after 3 months! I do no put out grit as I was told if they free range, you do not need to as they eat little pebbles and dirt. I doubt any of these things would have anything to do with what is going on with her though

3. FFAChickenFan

FFAChickenFan Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2013
    Washington
    Doubt it has anything to do with worms, so you're okay there!

The black scab visible in the first pic on her toe makes me think that it could be bumblefoot, although Ive never seen it on the toe (though I assume its possible)

Does she seems to be able to move fine other than not wanting to put pressure on that foot...? or does it seem like full paralysis of the leg?

Some more up-close pictures might be helpful :)

4. chickenchick99

Oct 16, 2014
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    I just looked at a million pics of bumblefoot. I don't think that's it at all.
    It sounds more like Mareks. I had a month old pullet given to me by the lady I got all my day olds from - two died and she replaced them. The pullet always just squatted down and "napped"...in the middle of the pasture, anywhere.....she limped. Approx 7-8 weeks ago I found her dead in the coop.
    These symptoms are completely different, but she has a lame leg, curled toes on that leg (just developed today) and now the toes on the other foot are curled.
    She had watery poop lately I noticed, not anymore though
    I hope this is not the case but I can't think of anything else.

5. FFAChickenFan

FFAChickenFan Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2013
    Washington
    Ah, yeah, thats why I asked about the paralysis.
    I've lost several chickens to mareks, and its always categorized by a sleepy appearance and then sudden death, kinda like what happened with yours.

Have you checked your chickens eyes? I know it sounds weird, but a way that many people check for Mareks is by looking for a characteristic grey ring around the chickens pupil. Its not a sure fire way to tell, but most chickens with mareks will have this abnormality, in my experience.

Judging by the age of your chicken I would say its just about the right time for Mareks symptoms to be emerging- although I really hope it isnt so!
    I would keep her indoors and warm. A low setting heat pad in a crate or heat lamp (somewhere safe of course) will help to ease any discomfort she may be experiencing.

Just keeping an eye on her is my best advice to you now. Hopefully someone else will come along with a better idea! But right now I would monitor her paralysis and see if she becomes worse, and if she does... consider putting her down. I know its hard, but for a lot of cases its the best option :( Really hoping it isnt Mareks, but if it is, there's really nothing you can do about it.

Completely unprofessional opinion, but the next most likely thing that comes to mind to me is Botulism, since your flock is free roaming and its possible she came into contact with some rotten food. But in all honesty I consider that to be pretty unlikely, since it sounds like you watch her pretty closely.

Keep me posted! I really hope she takes a turn for better soon [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by