Looking for answers

Journeys End

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2016
After 15 years of raising hens and Cayuga ducks a weasel massacred all but four of my hens. When I took the only four survivors to my veterinary for a health check he diagnosed one hen as having Merek's, she was confirmed after she euthanized and tested by the UNH Veterinary Diagnostic Lab . One of the four survivors is a ten year old hen the other two are 3 year old Rhode Island Reds. They are not showing any symptoms, yet. I'd never heard of this disease and I dont know if any of the birds were vaccinated. I've been reading everything I can. There is so much information but some of it is also conflicting. I'm trying to understand where this virus came from/how it got into my flock. From reading it seems the Rhode Island Reds may have brought it. They are the youngest (would be 3yrs old this spring) and in past 6 months I've lost a few to unusual circumstances. Is it safe to be optimistic that my 10 year old may have been vaccinated and is therefore not inflected?? or should I just have the three survivors euthanized? what do I do going forward? Is it safe to even consider a new flock? If they are vaccinated does that what is the percentage of efficacy? are there breeds that are less susceptible? what breeders vaccinate? I'm so discouraged.

I have not personally dealt with Marek's (so others here will have a better answer for you), but I can help to answer some of your questions. I'm so sorry you've had this happen :(

Your 10 year old can have it and not have symptoms. Or she can have been vaccinated. You shouldn't mix vaccinated and non vaccinated chickens as the vaccinated ones can shed the virus (they are exposed to a form of the virus and won't be effected themselves) and infect the non vaccinated ones. Whatever you do going forward, choose one or the other and stick with it. If you decide to keep your old hen, then just get vaccinated birds as the virus might still be around. Don't keep your old flock if you plan on breeding and selling in the future as there would be a high likelihood that marek's is still lingering in your flock. If your flock is just for your personal enjoyment, then you can just add vaccinated birds and shouldn't have much of a problem carrying on.

Just be aware that if you decide to keep your old flock, you will always have to bring in vaccinated birds and it would not be responsible to breed, sell, or trade them unless the person on the other end of the deal was fully aware of this.

I am so sorry this has happened to you.
Chickens can have Mareks and not show symptoms.
When you buy chicks, you have the option to pay a little more (about $1) to have them vaccinated. I believe they must be vaccinated within so many hours. I will attach an article from a member in BYC that may help.

I am so sorry this has happened to you.
Chickens can have Mareks and not show symptoms.
When you buy chicks, you have the option to pay a little more (about $1) to have them vaccinated. I believe they must be vaccinated within so many hours. I will attach an article from a member in BYC that may help.
Here is the article “The Great Big Giant Mareks Disease FAQ

I'm so sorry this happened. I don't have any experience with Mareks, but I was recently looking through hatchery websites trying to decide who to order chicks from and noticed that many will vaccinate their day old chicks.

Murray McMurray - 20 cents per chick
Hoovers - didn't see anything on the site, but may be an option at checkout
Meyer - price per chick starts at $1.50 and goes down as chick numbers go up
Cackle - $10 flat fee up to 66 chicks
Ideal Hatchery - 20 cents per chick
My Pet Chicken - offers the vaccine, price seen at checkout

There are also places that sell the vaccine so you can vaccinate your own chicks if you decide to hatch your own. Penn State has good article on Mareks that also includes advice for vaccinating chicks: https://extension.psu.edu/mareks-disease-in-chickens

I have not personally dealt with Marek's (so others here will have a better answer for you), but I can help to answer some of your questions. I'm so sorry you've had this happen :(

Your 10 year old can have it and not have symptoms. Or she can have been vaccinated. You shouldn't mix vaccinated and non vaccinated chickens as the vaccinated ones can shed the virus (they are exposed to a form of the virus and won't be effected themselves) and infect the non vaccinated ones. Whatever you do going forward, choose one or the other and stick with it. If you decide to keep your old hen, then just get vaccinated birds as the virus might still be around. Don't keep your old flock if you plan on breeding and selling in the future as there would be a high likelihood that marek's is still lingering in your flock. If your flock is just for your personal enjoyment, then you can just add vaccinated birds and shouldn't have much of a problem carrying on.

Just be aware that if you decide to keep your old flock, you will always have to bring in vaccinated birds and it would not be responsible to breed, sell, or trade them unless the person on the other end of the deal was fully aware of this.
Thanks, these hens are just my girls, I dont breed or sell or give them away, when they come to me its their forever home. Had I realized/been aware of this virus previously I would have made sure to only bring home vaccinated chicks. From my research I'm reasonably confident the virus came with the Rhode Island Reds, almost 3 yrs ago now I helped out a local farm supply store when they had only had the six left. Your information is helpful. Thanks again.

I'm so sorry this happened. I don't have any experience with Mareks, but I was recently looking through hatchery websites trying to decide who to order chicks from and noticed that many will vaccinate their day old chicks.

Murray McMurray - 20 cents per chick
Hoovers - didn't see anything on the site, but may be an option at checkout
Meyer - price per chick starts at $1.50 and goes down as chick numbers go up
Cackle - $10 flat fee up to 66 chicks
Ideal Hatchery - 20 cents per chick
My Pet Chicken - offers the vaccine, price seen at checkout

There are also places that sell the vaccine so you can vaccinate your own chicks if you decide to hatch your own. Penn State has good article on Mareks that also includes advice for vaccinating chicks: https://extension.psu.edu/mareks-disease-in-chickens
thank you, helpful

Back
Top Bottom