Looking for any follow up on treatment of CRD or other unspecified mucus type ailments. Thanks!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Britt007, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Britt007

Britt007 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2013
    Nashville
    Hi Everyone,
    I've read through all the posts but can't get a clear picture on the success of treatments. I see a lot of treatment posts but can't figure out what happened in the long term.

I'm dealing with a sick hen who i've treated with LA 200 injections (some success) and a liquid (tmz) from the vet (maybe a little improvement)

I won't bore you with the whole story but the LA 200 seemed to knock it out of her but then she got watery eyes a week later. I was gonna continue with LA 200 for a long period to see if I could knock it out of her but someone told me about a great chicken vet so I decided I'd take her. He was ReALLY against me doing the LA 200 and although he didn't do a culture, he felt she had one of the two very common chronic respiratory illnesses that are viral and an anti biotic wouldn't have helped. He was thinking she got better because I was keeping her warm and force feeding her.. although I'm not convinced of that.

She's been on this liquid from the vet for a week and I'm not really seeing that much improvement. I'll continue with it for a week. (she's eating and drinking, looks somewhat active but still has lots of mucus)

SOOOO, I was thinking of finishing the second week, seeing how she was looking. If she looks awful, I may give it one last try with the LA 200. The vet said it's too strong for a chicken, even in low doses, but it may be my last resort. It may also be time to have her put to sleep.

so far, I don't think she's in any pain. Seems to be happy enough, just sleepy and gooey eyed.

SO- please give me any updates:

Did LA 200 work for anyone?
    Have you ever re introduced your previously sick hen to other hens successfully?
    If I DO try the last ditch injections again- why does everyone say "muscle injections" on here when on the bottle, it says Sub Q?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

2. nettifer

nettifer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    i battled with this all year! i used tylan 50 in water then denegard then baytril, i lost a couple that had it bad but i then started feeding their last meal at night of fermented mixed corn & rolled oats, the good bacteria in fermented feed has finally knocked it on the head [​IMG]plus acv in water daily and poultry spice in their layers pellets , good luck!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you describe your chicken's symptoms? The LA200 is mostly listed for cattle, and it is oxytetracycline which is also available for chickens in a liquid form for CRD or mycoplasma. It is hard to distinguish from a virus such as infectious bronchitis and a mildercase off mycoplasma gallisepticum or CRD because symtoms are similar: runny nose and watery eyes. IB can last for around a month, so it could be what you are dealing with and antibiotics won't do much unless they develop a secondary bacterial infection. Here is a good link about diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

4. Britt007

Dec 5, 2013
    Nashville
    thank you so much for the advice.

The hen (which was a chicken from my church) was donated with 6 other chickens. Chloe always seemed meek (she's a Buff Orpington) and was on the low rung of the pecking order. She soon started to lose interest in food.

Her physical symptoms were mouth breathing, mucus on her beak, eyes glued shut, sleeping a lot. Her sinuses are puffy and swollen. Her appetite has been pretty good since I started treating her..although she seems to be not as interested in food- which is why I'm wondering if I should just go back to what worked (LA 200 .. but go a little longer with it).

5. Britt007

Dec 5, 2013
    Nashville
    Nettifer,
    Thank you so much for the advice. I"m glad so many of your flock survived. Are you thinking it was CRD? So does that mean you're not introducing any new (healthy) chickens into your flock? How long have your chickens been able to remain healthy since treatment.

Thanks so much,
    Britt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by