Looking for any Kind of Double Yolk Eggs, Also Interested in Other Eggs of Interesting Species/Breed

Discussion in 'Other Poultry - Birds & Hatching Eggs' started by Erka97, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Erka97

Erka97 Chirping

Mar 30, 2017
    Hello.
    I am currently setting up an experiment on the survivability of double yolked eggs, as I am a biology student. Therefore, I am in need of as many double yolked eggs as I can find of any species. I have a lot of experience assisting hatches, and I'd like to have some twins. Chickens and ducks would fit in best with my current animals, but I've had success integrating every other creature I've owned as well.
    I'll pay for them, but hopefully less than normal since they're not usually used for hatching and are pretty unlikely to actually hatch out.
    I'd also like to hear about hatching eggs for any interesting kind of chicken, duck, turkey, or whatever other bird people might have. I'm a bit addicted to hatching strange things.. My current strangest is an emu; hatched last May, already bigger than me when he wants to be!
    [This also posted on the chicken egg buy/sell page, as I saw that before I saw this.]

CoturnixComplex likes this.
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    Where are you? Someone in Australia can't help you much if you are in Canada. Putting location in your title might help attract people that can help, modifying your profile to include that will always have that information available, or at least put it in the body of your message.

If you can find your Country or State thread in the "Where am I? Where are you!" section of this forum you can perhaps chat with your neighbors and see if anyone local can help you. That could be better than shipped eggs.

Chick-N-Fun and CoturnixComplex like this.
  3. Erka97

Erka97 Chirping

Mar 30, 2017
    I am in the Northeastern US but I have had good success with shipped eggs whenever I've gotten them. I doubt any from Australia would be okay, though. I'd hope for continental US somewhere.

Chick-N-Fun likes this.
  4. Cayuga momma

Cayuga momma ♡I'm not crazy, I'm just special♡

Mar 13, 2018
    Western NY
    @MarlyMonster just did a double yolk experiment with muscovy eggs. She might know where you can get some.

5. MarlyMonster

MarlyMonster Songster

Oct 24, 2018
    Your best bet is to contact local hatcheries in your area! That’s how I got mine :)

I found someone with Muscovies nearby and another with quails two hours away. There’s bound to be someone close to you, it’s just a matter of convincing them to help haha.

Be prepared for heartbreak, people told me the same and it still really got to be when they didn’t hatch :(

Cayuga momma likes this.
  6. cassifaith

cassifaith In the Brooder

Feb 25, 2019
    I currently get alot of double yolk eggs.... And I have 2 eggs with double embryos on day 13. Im needing some assistance coming up next week.

7. Cayuga momma

Cayuga momma ♡I'm not crazy, I'm just special♡

Mar 13, 2018
    Western NY
    If you post in hatching and incubating forum there will be lots of people to help!

cassifaith likes this.
  8. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Welcome to BYC! If you start a new thread, under the forum: Incubating and hatching, you'll get help! Let us know in this thread, ok?

9. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Will you be studying the effects of double yolkers and over sized eggs regarding the higher incidences of vent prolapse?

10. cassifaith

cassifaith In the Brooder

Feb 25, 2019
    I just posted under incubating.... and included a video of my candling day 11... of one of the suspected twin eggs

SueT likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: