Looking for baby quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by BigAnt17566, Apr 23, 2009.

1. BigAnt17566

BigAnt17566 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2008
    Quarryville,PA
    I want to start raising some quail. I don't want to start with eggs if possible. Not sure where I can get them. Also what brand of starter does everyone use?

2. bkvail

bkvail Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been using Purina Startena for my quail.

Too bad you don't live in WA - I have about 30 jumbo brown and golden chicks hatched this last Saturday I could sell..........

3. BigAnt17566

Mar 23, 2008
    Quarryville,PA
    Thanks Are they hard to hatch?

4. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Monarc is about five hours, and I'm 2 hours and 49 minutes, lol. But, check your local craigslist, or check out Pennswoods.net

5. bkvail

bkvail Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I have never hatched anything before getting quail eggs. My first hatch was 19/40 and second hatch was 52/120 in a Little Giant still-air incubator. I know I could up those numbers if I added auto turner and forced air to the incubator so I didn't have to open it as much. I had a LOT of babies that were fully grown in the shells that just didn't make it out. My humidity might have gotten too high though. But, I'm happy with the 40-some that have survived from the second hatch and I plan to keep all of them until butchering size and have a big BBQ [​IMG]

6. BigAnt17566

Mar 23, 2008
    Quarryville,PA
    Thanks I've hatched chickens last year 12 out of 20 eggs i don't have a auto turner so I only turn twice aday because of my work! I think i'm going to try and get a new bator with a turner if I can afford it

7. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:5 hours!?!?!?! [​IMG] I thought you weren't that far from me woahhhhh crazieee!!! No wonder everytime i offer chicks to you you turn me down HAHAHAHAHAHA I had NO idea you were that far away from me, or in other words that i was that far from you. i assumed you were near Sam! LOL!

8. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Lol. You and I are like 2 or 2.5 hours away, if I remember correctly, but BigAnt is kind of "cock-eyed" from both of us.

9. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    How many are you looking for? Are you wanting to start with full sized or just chicks?

How are the 12 of 20 doing, [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by