Looking for baby Silkie Chicks for Christmas gifts!!

SMV913

Chirping
Nov 15, 2017
My family and I are looking to start our first little coop and we’re planning on surprising our two young children (7 & 4) with some baby chicks for Christmas! I realize this isn’t exactly the “season” to be looking for chicks but we’re hoping we’ll have some luck! I have contacted a handful of feed stores in my area (I live in between Monterey- 1 hr away and San Jose- 1 hr away opposite direction) did a bunch of online searches and unfortunately have had very little luck this time of year. I did speak to Farmers Feed of Gilroy which is very close to where I live and looks like we may have some luck with them with their Plymouth Rocks and Orpingtons since they receive chicks year round! However, I REALLY am hoping to get some Silkie chicks as well and can’t seem to find any and am heart broken! If anyone is selling or knows of a place selling baby Silkie chicks either in the Monterey/San Jose/Central Valley area please send any and all info my way. I greatly appreciate it!

Good day, @SMV913 :welcome

Wish you the best of luck in finding some Silkies for your kids! :)

Unfortunately, I don’t have Silkies, nor do I live anywhere near you.. (2,000 miles apart!!) Still wish you best of luck though! :fl Hope someone has what you’re looking for!

Good day, @SMV913 :welcome

Wish you the best of luck in finding some Silkies for your kids! :)

Unfortunately, I don’t have Silkies, nor do I live anywhere near you.. (2,000 miles apart!!) Still wish you best of luck though! :fl Hope someone has what you’re looking for!

Thank you for your positive wishes! We are very hopeful with fingers crossed

I ordered silkies from ideal poultry. And the quality of them are very nice! They were able to ship them in November and sometimes they can do December also! I hope this helps. If you wanna see some of the chicks i ordered you can look at my threads and it’s raising chicks diaries.

I just checked ideal. I’m sorry if i got your hopes up. I really hope you can find some. Have you considered seeing if a breeder is around you and if you can’t arrange them to throw any eggs in the incubator this late in season you could see if they would hatch you any in the spring and have Santa leave them a note saying they can go and pick out their very own chicks in the spring.

I just checked ideal. I’m sorry if i got your hopes up. I really hope you can find some. Have you considered seeing if a breeder is around you and if you can’t arrange them to throw any eggs in the incubator this late in season you could see if they would hatch you any in the spring and have Santa leave them a note saying they can go and pick out their very own chicks in the spring.

Hi Scott,
Thank you for the welcome to BYC! I did get a little excited for a moment there and checked out the website you gave me and saw they were sold out until next year as well :hit It isn’t looking too promising unfortunately.
I haven’t found any breeders in my area but I may not be looking in the right places. I will definitely do some more homework and see what I come up with!
I actually really like your idea of Santa leaving a note for them! You got me thinking the note could say that the Easter bunny might be bringing them some more baby chicks (and we’d make those the silkies to add to the group! Yay!:celebrate) i’ll still keep my hopes up for now but I’ll be thinking of ways to get creative and improvise as well! We’re just really looking forward to starting our backyard coop!
Thank you as well for the referral of ideal poultry! I will definitely keep there contact info on hand for the future!

I ordered silkies from ideal poultry. And the quality of them are very nice! They were able to ship them in November and sometimes they can do December also! I hope this helps. If you wanna see some of the chicks i ordered you can look at my threads and it’s raising chicks diaries.

By the way, I just saw the photos you mentioned of the chicks you recentlt received from Ideal and I about lost it! They are so incredibly adorable!! Best of luck with them, they are such pretty little things!

Yeah sometimes you just gotta get creative. I like the Easter bunny idea a lot actually. Also i know how it is with finding silkie breeders. The closest one to me was 3 hours away. And also along with silkies polish are very adorable as well! And you can make some really cute crossings with them too because just know if you’re gonna have a silkie hen it’ll be so easy for you to wanna let her hatch some eggs out. My best wishes to you and your family this Christmas! Good luck with your kids excitement for Easter!

Yeah sometimes you just gotta get creative. I like the Easter bunny idea a lot actually. Also i know how it is with finding silkie breeders. The closest one to me was 3 hours away. And also along with silkies polish are very adorable as well! And you can make some really cute crossings with them too because just know if you’re gonna have a silkie hen it’ll be so easy for you to wanna let her hatch some eggs out. My best wishes to you and your family this Christmas! Good luck with your kids excitement for Easter!

I found 1, possibly 2 breeders somewhat close by (still a little drive) so I’m hoping those might work out after all! I have looked into the polish as well which are very cute too! I may end up with more chicks then I bargained for in the end. Hope you have a great holiday also and thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom