Looking for bantams that don't fly

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by popsicle, Dec 3, 2012.

1. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I've never had bantam chickens before--the smallest breed I've ever had has been leghorns--I usually like BIG chickens like Brahmas, Jersey Giants and Wyandottes.

I'm going to be converting a couple old outhouses into coops and have been thinking about putting one in our pasture. Since the outhouses are on the small side I thought I might try some bantams.

The pasture shares a fence with a neighbor but it's only 4' high or so (and really, only the bottom 36" is probably chicken proof). I was wondering if there are any good bantam breeds that could free range in the pasture without wandering over the fence (with or without clipping wings)? So far I'm thinking silkies and bantam Brahmas.

I might just end up putting the fat old Brahmas out there.

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I think you're right.
    All of my bantams fly quite well.
    The Silkies are the only breed I've had that do no flying at all.
    I sometimes put my doggie x-pens out to make a corral for them.
    The x-pens are only 24-inches tall and keeps the Silkies contained.
    The only problem with breeds that do not fly is they also become easy prey to predators (which includes neighbors dogs).

3. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

If predators and fence jumping end up being a problem I'd make a run or sell the coop to somebody in the city. I can also move the coop to the other pasture where the LF are that has better neighbors.

The chickens would be out with goats--usually big goats with big horns that are bigger than any of the neighbors' dogs and do a good job of letting the dogs know they aren't welcome. Most of the dogs around here have gone home home after a good whack on the head from a 200 lb goat, and never return for a second round.

I let my LF free range most afternoons and haven't lost any yet--most of the dogs around here ignore livestock.

I'm more concerned about birds going to the neighbors that "have a thing with birds," whatever that means.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  4. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Yeah, you won't have to worry about the Silkies "going to the neighbors" since they won't be able to fly over the fence.
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by