looking for black copper maran eggs

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by ddeans, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddeans

ddeans Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Hey everyone,

I'm looking for black copper maran eggs that are fertile. I don't really care about the qty, but more than 1 is idea. Please let me know how many you have and the price and how soon you can ship.

Thanks!

2. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    Milton Florida
    Their are a few people that have them, but you will have to get on a waiting list. Really depends on the qaulity of the Marans what you will pay. A Marans is no different than any other chicken unless they lay dark eggs, the darker the better. Good breeders have the darkest eggs, but you will spend more, and wait longer. Do your research, you can waist a lot of money on not so good Copper Marans.

3. danrut101

danrut101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Check with Will Morrow at Whitmore Farms. He has great birds and he is close to you. I have birds from him and have great egg color. His line comes from Wade Jeanne which is a well respected breeder. If you can't get in touch with him, PM me and I'll help you out. I have a few eggs, but I also have a 2 month wait after the holidays.

Danny D

4. mothergoose1963

mothergoose1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Midwest
    There is a guy on Eggbid and on Ebay that is selling "Black Copper Marans" eggs and birds. Some of the birds in the picture look like Rhode Island Reds!!! He says this is normal! What a rip off artist! Buyer Beware! Do your research on the birds before you shell out the money.

5. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    I am a newbie, but I would be suspicious on the 2nd link - he doesn't show any pictures of the eggs he claims to be 7-9 on the color scale. After reading many posts, I think 7-9's are extremely rare, even for the reputable breeders? I'm sure more experienced marans breeders here could correct me if I'm wrong... [​IMG]

6. peachick

peachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    ddeans, I have you on my list but there are many ahead of you [​IMG]

I am in md too, and can probably let you pick up live chicks this winter since you are close. The girs are not laying much, but I'll most likely incubate the ones I do get....

My breeders also came from Will..... he is a good friend of mine and neighbor. Right now he is not selling any marans (not even to me [​IMG])

7. ddeans

Nov 20, 2008
    Elkton, MD
  8. ddeans

Nov 20, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Quote:Yes, please keep me on the list, and I can drive down, although you are 91 miles. But I could make it a day trip. [​IMG]

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Quote:The photos in the auction show a flock of mixed marans as well as what looks like hatchery quality Rhode Island Red hens. The rooster has a short tail and is missing his sickle feathers, which is what some roos look like that have the slow feathering gene, which you are supposed to NOT be breeding for, especially in a non-barred color. Their combs are short with a lot of little points on them, which some people find unattractive, and the egg color is "okay" but you could find a lot better with other buyers. If I was you I would spring another twenty or thirty dollars and go with a better quality breeder. You will be stuck with these faults and possibly mixed genes for generations to come. If you just want brown eggs, bid away. If you want to breed, at least choose someone that keeps their breeds and color varieties separate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by