Looking for Blue or Red Merle Pom Male

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Chicky Mama, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Chicky Mama

Chicky Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Mountains of N.E. CA
    [​IMG] Hi I'm looking for a red or blue merle purebred only Pom for our black girl. She's got blue merle genes from her dad and her mom is black like her. She'll be a year in October and I wanted to let her growup first.I'd like to find someone for when she's ready.We live in Shasta cnty.CA near Mt.Lassen.Please let me know if there's any intrest.

2. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Is the merle gene in Poms the same as for collies/aussies? If it is, then she is NOT carrying a gene for it as it is dominant. If she were bred to a merle, she may throw a merle, but not because she carries a gene for it. I have never seen a merle Pom, is it a true merle or a parti-color?
    Where can I find pix of merle Poms (sounds pretty)

3. Chicky Mama

May 4, 2009
    Mountains of N.E. CA
    I assumed it was in her from her Dad,she has a tiny bit faintly showing. Yes they look like mini Aussies and are GORGEOUS just the same. Her Breeder paid quite alot for the Dad.Most breeders charge an arm and a leg for Merle pups.Just search thru Pom breeders online til you find one.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  4. tharrell

tharrell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    FYI if she has merle showing and she is bred to another merle there is a 25% chance she will throw double merle puppies which will have hearing and or eye problems. If she has merle showing she can be bred to any other colored pom and throw merle puppies. Please research the merle gene before breeding.

5. Chicky Mama

May 4, 2009
    Mountains of N.E. CA
    Thanks for the insight. I wasn't aware of it, like breeding double frizzles. I've since Emailed her breeder and she said to have a DNA test done to find out if she has the gene.The bit of white could just be from her Mom but not 100% sure. We'll probably just get another pup from her cuz she has awesome dogs,multi color varieties and unrelated to ours.[​IMG]

6. tharrell

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    The genetic test for merle is currently not available. [​IMG] I'm rather involved in the merle chihuahua so it's a big deal that the only company that offered it decided not to anymore. She could literally have one hair that has merle markings, and that would genetically make her merle. If you have a picture I could probably give you a good idea if she is in fact merle. Alot of times it is easiest to tell merles from their puppy pictures as alot of times they can fade and change as they mature. And yes, merle poms just like merle chis, aussies, shelties, ect. are absolutely GORGEOUS!!!

7. Chicky Mama

May 4, 2009
    Mountains of N.E. CA
    She's black like Mom with bits of white in her tail, chest and feet,her Dad was blue merle.

[​IMG]

8. tharrell

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Do you have any pictures that show where her white markings are at all? Also do her eyes have any flecks of different colors in them? Either way all your fur kids there are adorable!

9. Chicky Mama

May 4, 2009
    Mountains of N.E. CA
    Thanks and holdabit gotta take a shot of her fanny.

10. Shelanie

Shelanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Southern California
    I breed Poms, I'm in southern California. One of my studs is a chocolate merle parti but he throws both solids and partis. You can see my dogs at www.DivaPoms.com If you have any questions Chicky Moma you are more than welcome to shoot me a PM.

PS. If you look at Pheobe on my available females page (Nursery) she is one of the top exotics I have ever produced (merled tri)! I can't believe I sold her...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by