Looking For Blue Slates

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by tobin123, Jul 10, 2010.

1. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    Hi my son and i are looking for some blue slate babies but are not able to find any.Any one got any for sale or now where i can maybe get some

2. Tunastopper

Tunastopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
  3. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    i did see but not wanting 15 just 6 or 7 they only sell in 15

4. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Don't worry when they get shipped you lose some and they refund your money quite nicely I only have 9 left out of my 15....mine were Midgets

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Thats a pretty sad way to look at it but I have read that Poults are VERY fragile, much more so than chicks, so I imagine you would have some loss. Maybe you could find someone local to split an order with? Try posting an Ad on Craigslist...if they're hard to find around you i am sure there's someone else out there that is wanting some also.

I was lucky enough to find mine locally and for cheap, i just loev them. About the cutest babies i've ever seen. [​IMG]

6. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    Well I seldom lose any chicks when they are shipped and I haven't had any loss when I hatched turkeys either but sometimes if you need a variety and can't get eggs you need them shipped they stress way more than chickens and they just die

7. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

what if you buy a mix... like 7 slate, 8 blacks... or 5 slate, 5 black, 5 reds... Thats what I do...

8. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

One more thing... Thanksgiving is around the corner... any extra turkeys make good eatting.

9. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    Some extension services keep lists of small breeders. You could also try searching the internet for "blue slate indiana", or something similar, to try to find a breeder that you can drive to. Then you wouldn't need to order 15.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by